Who We Are
- Cambridge University Press at a Glance
- The Press Syndicate
- The Press Board
- History of the Press
- The Queen's Printer's Patent
- Cambridge's Ethics
- Annual Report
- What We Do
Rights & Permissions
- Community & Environment
- Our Bookshop
- Contact Us
The Cambridge University Press Bookshop opened its doors for business on 30 April 1992 as a showroom for the full range of the Press's publishing.
Number 1 Trinity Street is one of the most historic sites in bookselling. It is situated in the heart of Cambridge opposite the Senate House, adjacent to Great St Mary's the University church.
Well-remembered by many as Bowes & Bowes, books have in fact been sold here since at least 1581, making it the oldest bookshop site in the country. During its long history it has hosted readings by Tennyson and counted Thackeray and Charles Kingsley amongst its visitors.
From 1845 the shop was run by Daniel and Alexander Macmillan where they began to issue some of their own publications. By 1863 this business had grown so much they no longer had time to run the shop, instead investing all their time in what is now Macmillan publishers. Since Cambridge University Press took over the site in 1992, the biggest changes in publishing have taken place since the Press was granted its Letters Patent by Henry VIII in 1534.
It is no longer viable to fulfil the shop's initial remit of stocking all Cambridge publications. However, we do still stock the largest range to be found under one roof, and if we don't have it in stock we will be happy to order it for you – please just ask!
- Our Bookshop
- What We Offer
- Our Range
- Discounts and Special Offers
- Schools and English Language Learning
- How To Find Us
Cambridge University Press Bookshop
1 Trinity Street
+44 (0)1223 333333
Schools and English Language Learning
28 Market Hill
+44 (0)1223 330292
For security reasons, please do not include card details when ordering via email.
Monday to Saturday 9.00 am – 5.30 pm
Sunday 11.00 am – 5.00 pm