Mixed media product
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This introduction to the sounds of Japanese is designed for English-speaking students with no prior knowledge of the language, and includes an audio CD which demonstrates the sounds and pronunciation described. It will be an invaluable resource for students of Japanese wishing to improve their pronunciation, as well as those studying Japanese linguistics. • Explains how speech sounds are produced in Japanese (articulatory phonetics), and the system of sounds in Japanese (phonology). • Covers a range of topics including vowels, consonants, syllables, accents, intonations, and phonemics. • Gives clear comparisons with English, and provides practical advice on pronunciation. • Provides a wealth of authentic Japanese examples. • Each chapter contains exercises to help students put their knowledge into practice.Read more
- Explains the fundamentals of phonetics and phonology, which makes the book accessible to readers with no prior knowledge of linguistics
- Contains a wealth of examples to illustrate each aspect of the description
- Provides challenging exercises at the end of each chapter, encouraging students to put their knowledge into practice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2009
- format: Mixed media product
- isbn: 9780521617543
- length: 284 pages
- dimensions: 247 x 174 x 17 mm
- weight: 0.59kg
- contains: 4 b/w illus.
- availability: Temporarily unavailable - available from TBC
Table of Contents
4. Syllable-initial consonants
5. Syllable-final consonants
6.Syllables and moras
7. Accent and intonation
8. Other topics
Appendix A. Broad phonetic transcription
Appendix B. Phonemes and allophones
Appendix C. Hepburn and Kunrei Romanization.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×