Opening timesMonday to Saturday from 9am until 5.30pm
Sunday from 11am until 5pm
1 Trinity Street, Cambridge, CB2 1SZ
History of the Bookshop
Cambridge University Press Bookshop opened its doors for business on 30 April 1992 as a showroom for the full range of the Press’ publishing.
1 Trinity Street is one of the most historic sites in bookselling. It is situated at the heart of Cambridge opposite the Senate House, adjacent to Great St Mary’s the University church. Well remembered by many as Bowes & Bowes, books have in fact been sold here since at least 1581, making it the oldest bookshop site in the country. During its long history it has hosted readings by Tennyson and counted Thackeray and Charles Kingsley amongst its visitors. From 1845 the shop was run by Daniel and Alexander Macmillan where they began to issue some of their own publications. By 1863 this business had grown so much they no longer had time to run the shop, instead investing all their time in what is now Macmillan publishers.
Since Cambridge University Press took over the site in 1992 the biggest changes in publishing have taken place since the Press was granted its Royal Charter by Henry VIII in 1534. With the advent of digital printing, e-publishing, CD-ROMs and print on demand it has no longer become viable to fulfil the initial remit of stocking all Cambridge publications. We do still stock the largest range to be found under one roof, and if we don’t have it in stock we will be happy to order it for you – just ask!