Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Most people think about the sanctuary of Delphi as the seat of the famous oracle and of Olympia as the site of the Olympic games. The oracle and the games, however, were but two of the many activities ongoing at both sites. This book investigates the physical remains of both sanctuaries to show how different visitors interacted with the sacred spaces of Delphi and Olympia in an important variety of ways during the archaic and classical periods. It highlights how this fluid usage impacted upon, and was itself affected by, the development of the sanctuary space and how such usage influenced the place and relationship of these two sites in the wider landscape. As a result, it argues for the re-evaluation of the roles of Delphi and Olympia in the Greek world and for a re-thinking of the usefulness of the term 'panhellenism' in Greek politics, religion and culture.Read more
- First full engagement in English with the archaeological material for the sanctuaries of Delphi and Olympia
- Presumes no previous archaeological expertise and clearly explains and analyses all the archaeological evidence presented
- Provides the first full chronological maps of the sanctuary of Delphi to be published, and the first chronological table of monumental dedications at Delphi
Reviews & endorsements
"It is the particular merit of [the book that it] has turned to the archaeology, monuments, dedications and buildings of these sanctuary sites to test the nature of panhellenism as it changed over the archaic and classical periods." --TLS
Be the first to review this book
- Date Published: June 2010
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521191265
- length: 378 pages
- dimensions: 244 x 170 x 22 mm
- weight: 0.8kg
- contains: 57 b/w illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
1. Athletes and oracles - but what else?
2. Dedicating at Olympia and Delphi
3. Delphi 650–500 BC
4. Delphi 500–400 BC
5. Delphi 400–300 BC
6. Olympia 650–479 BC
7. Olympia 479–300 BC
8. Comparing spaces
9. Panhellenic sanctuaries and panhellenism in context.
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×