Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
A human observer can effortlessly identify visible portions of geometric objects present in the environment. However, computations of visible portions of objects from a viewpoint involving thousands of objects is a time consuming task even for high speed computers. To solve such visibility problems, efficient algorithms have been designed. This book presents some of these visibility algorithms in two dimensions. Specifically, basic algorithms for point visibility, weak visibility, shortest paths, visibility graphs, link paths and visibility queries are all discussed. Several geometric properties are also established through lemmas and theorems. With over 300 figures and hundreds of exercises, this book is ideal for graduate students and researchers in the field of computational geometry. It will also be useful as a reference for researchers working in algorithms, robotics, computer graphics and geometric graph theory, and some algorithms from the book can be used in a first course in computational geometry.Read more
- First book entirely devoted to visibility algorithms in computational geometry, useful to researchers in algorithms, robotics, computer graphics and geometric graph theory
- Algorithms from the book can be used in a first course in computational geometry
- Contains over 300 figures and over 100 exercises, making it ideal as a graduate textbook
Reviews & endorsements
"The topics covered are all very visual, easy to understand, and well explained... A good overview of visibility algorithms in the plane, concentrating on basic algorithms but also covering the state of the art."
Carola Wenk, Mathematical ReviewsSee more reviews
"The text is conversational in tone, yet clear and rigorous in its exposition. In general, this text accomplishes its intended purpose well - providing a graduate-level text on visibility algorithms that can also serve as a useful reference."
Alice M. Dean for SIGACT News
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2007
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521875745
- length: 332 pages
- dimensions: 252 x 178 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.818kg
- contains: 333 b/w illus. 108 exercises
- availability: Temporarily unavailable - no date available
Table of Contents
2. Point visibility
3. Weak visibility and shortest paths
4. L-R visibility and shortest paths
5. Visibility graphs
6. Visibility graph theory
7. Visibility and link paths
8. Visibility and path queries
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×