Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This concise handbook presents a summary of Earth's history over the past 4.5 billion years as well as a brief overview of contemporaneous events on the Moon, Mars and Venus. The authors have been at the forefront of chronostratigraphic research and initiatives to create an international geologic time scale for many years, and the charts in this book present the most up to date, international standard, as ratified by the International Commission on Stratigraphy and the International Union of Geological Sciences. This book is an essential reference for all geoscientists, including researchers, students, and petroleum and mining professionals. The presentation is non-technical and illustrated with numerous colour charts, maps and photographs. The book also includes a detachable laminated card of the complete time scale for use as a handy reference in the office, laboratory or field.Read more
- Presents the standardized definitions of the geologic stages as approved by the International Commission on Stratigraphy and correlates these to regional stages
- Illustrated in colour throughout with plate reconstruction maps, detailed time scale charts, stratigraphic profiles and photographs for each geologic period
- Presents an overview of the methods used to create the time scale so readers can get an appreciation of resolution and accuracy issues
- Includes a handy, detachable laminated card of the summary time scale chart
Reviews & endorsements
"This is an excellent book and an essential reference tool for all who have an interest in the past and future evolution in our planet. ... The book is beautifully produced and well organized with maps, illustrations, charts, and photos. All are in the correct geologic colors. The hardback copy of the book at a price of $40 is an excellent investment."
- Ronald Greene, The Leading EdgeSee more reviews
"Don't let the title fool you. Even though it is a concise geologic time scale, no eras, periods, epochs, or ages/stages have been left out! ... a must-have book for anyone involved in the geosciences." ASP Newsletter
Be the first to review this book
- Date Published: September 2008
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521898492
- length: 184 pages
- dimensions: 253 x 193 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.68kg
- contains: 3 b/w illus. 14 tables
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Planetary Time Scale
Appendix – Standard colors of the international divisions of geologic time
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×