This book presents a systematic and comprehensive introduction to ordinary differential equations for engineering students and practitioners. Mathematical concepts and various techniques are presented in a clear, logical, and concise manner. Various visual features are used to highlight focus areas. Complete illustrative diagrams are used to facilitate mathematical modeling of application problems. Readers are motivated by a focus on the relevance of differential equations through their applications in various engineering disciplines. Studies of various types of differential equations are determined by engineering applications. Theory and techniques for solving differential equations are then applied to solve practical engineering problems. Detailed step-by-step analysis is presented to model the engineering problems using differential equations from physical principles and to solve the differential equations using the easiest possible method. Such a detailed, step-by-step approach, especially when applied to practical engineering problems, helps the readers to develop problem-solving skills. This book is suitable for use not only as a textbook on ordinary differential equations for undergraduate students in an engineering program but also as a guide to self-study. It can also be used as a reference after students have completed learning the subject.Read more
- A step-by-step approach, applied to practical engineering problems, helps the readers to develop problem-solving skills
- Illustrative diagrams are used to facilitate mathematical modeling of application problems
- A systematic introduction to ordinary differential equations for engineering students
Reviews & endorsements
"It is warmly recommended as a core reading for a standard one-semester course on di erential equations for engineering students. The material in the book is very carefully organized, the presentation is transparent and rigorous, numerous illustrations, use of shades and mini-diagrams" in formulas help to follow the details better and to grab the ideas faster." - Yuri V. Rogovchenko, ZentralBlatt MATH
01st Sep 2015 by Kashifaliabro
Very good publication for students at engineering an science of the worldSee all reviews
30th May 2016 by Creatucuenta
This is a very interesting book, where I want to improve my knowledge about differential equations.
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2010
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521194242
- length: 568 pages
- dimensions: 254 x 178 x 32 mm
- weight: 1.2kg
- contains: 95 b/w illus. 8 tables 465 exercises
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
2. First-order and simple higher-order differential equations
3. Applications of first-order and simple higher-order equations
4. Linear differential equations
5. Applications of linear differential equations
6. The Laplace transform and its applications
7. Systems of linear differential equations
8. Applications of systems of linear differential equations
9. Series solutions of differential equations
10. Numerical solutions of differential equations
11. Partial differential equations
12. Solving ordinary differential equations using Maple
Appendix A. Tables of mathematical formulas.
Welcome to the resources site
Here you will find free-of-charge online materials to accompany this book. The range of materials we provide across our academic and higher education titles are an integral part of the book package whether you are a student, instructor, researcher or professional.
Find resources associated with this titleYour search for '' returned .
Type Name Unlocked * Format Size
*This title has one or more locked files and access is given only to instructors adopting the textbook for their class. We need to enforce this strictly so that solutions are not made available to students. To gain access to locked resources you either need first to sign in or register for an account.
These resources are provided free of charge by Cambridge University Press with permission of the author of the corresponding work, but are subject to copyright. You are permitted to view, print and download these resources for your own personal use only, provided any copyright lines on the resources are not removed or altered in any way. Any other use, including but not limited to distribution of the resources in modified form, or via electronic or other media, is strictly prohibited unless you have permission from the author of the corresponding work and provided you give appropriate acknowledgement of the source.
If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.com
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Advanced Differential Equations for MS program
- Differential Equations
- Differential Equations for Engineers
- Differential Equations with Linear Algebra
- Dynamic systems modeling and simulation
- Engineering Analysis of Physical Systems
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×