Adobe eBook Reader
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Designed for those beginning to study linguistics, this is a lively introduction to two key aspects of the structure of language: syntax (the structure of sentences) and morphology (the structure of words). It shows students in a step-by-step fashion how to analyze the syntax and morphology of any language, by clearly describing the basic methods and techniques, and providing almost 100 practical exercises based on data from a rich variety of the world's languages. Written in an engaging style and complete with a comprehensive glossary, Exploring Language Structure explains linguistic concepts by using clear analogies from everyday life. It introduces a range of essential topics in syntax and morphology, such as rules, categories, word classes, grammatical relations, multi-clause constructions and typology. Providing a solid foundation in morphology and syntax, this is the perfect introductory text for beginning students, and will fully prepare them for more advanced courses in linguistic analysis.Read more
- Provides hundreds of well-glossed examples from languages in all areas of the world
- Describes linguistic concepts using clear analogies from everyday life
- Contains almost 100 practical exercises based on data from a variety of languages
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2006
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511138331
- contains: 14 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to morphology and syntax
2. Morphological processes and conceptual categories
4. Word classes
5. Exploring sub-classes
6. Constituent structure
7. Language typology
8. Grammatical relations
9. Voice and valence
10. Multi-clause constructions.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Analytical methods of morphology and syntax
- Applied Syntax and Morphology
- Morphology and Syntax
- Structure in Language
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×