Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
In recent years the study of English and its global varieties has grown rapidly as a field of study. The English language in Singapore, famous for its vernacular known as 'Singlish', is of particular interest to linguists because it takes accent, dialect and lexical features from a wide range of languages including Malay, Mandarin, Hokkien and Tamil, as well as being influenced by the Englishes of Britain, Australia and America. This book gives a comprehensive overview of English in Singapore by setting it within a historical context and drawing on recent developments in the field of indexicality, world Englishes and corpus research. Through application of the indexicality framework Jakob Leimgruber offers readers a new way of thinking about and analysing the unique syntactic, semantic and phonological structure of Singapore English. This book is ideal for researchers and advanced students interested in Singapore and its languages.Read more
- Gives a comprehensive overview of the structure of Singapore English, as well as of the sociolinguistic profile of the country
- This book situates Singapore English within regional and global Englishes
- By applying the indexicality framework, this book offers a new way of analysing language variation in Singapore
Reviews & endorsements
"The first comprehensive account of the structure and variation of English in Singapore, ‘Singapore English’ is essential reading for linguists and sociolinguists interested in theoretical issues in the treatment of ‘Singaporean English’, as well as postgraduate and undergraduate students seeking a better understanding of the language situation in Singapore." --K.K. Luke, Professor of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2013
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107027305
- length: 168 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 11 mm
- weight: 0.4kg
- contains: 22 b/w illus. 2 maps 23 tables
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Singapore and its Englishes
2. Variation in Singapore English: old and new models
3. Description: phonology and lexicon
4. Description: grammar
5. Indexicality: a model for Singapore?
6. Conclusion: the variety as a structural unit.
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×