Dynamics of Language Contact
English and Immigrant Languages
$44.00 ( ) USD
- Author: Michael Clyne, University of Melbourne
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Written by an expert in the field, this study examines the dynamics of contact between languages in an immigrant context. Michael Clyne discusses the dynamics of contact with English using data from a wide range of languages, including German, Dutch, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Croatian and Vietnamese. Clyne analyzes how and why these languages change in a country with many immigrants such as Australia, as well as why some languages survive longer than others.Read more
- Combines linguistic, sociolinguistic and psycholinguistic dimensions
- Deals comparatively with typologically different languages in contact with the same language in bi- and trilinguals in the same country
- Deals comparatively with languages of different communities shifting at different rates to the same language in the same country
Reviews & endorsements
"This fascinating and rewarding volume is exactly the kind of book on language contact that one would expect Michael Clyne to write."
-Anthony P. Grant, Edge Hill College of Higher Education, Ormskirk, United Kingdom, Anthropological LinguisticsSee more reviews
"Clyne's discussion of various models and his terminological framework is an excellent introduction to the study of language contact. The tables throughout the book provide helpful summaries of the data."
-Mary Ruth Wise, SIL International
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2004
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9780511060588
- contains: 3 b/w illus. 1 map 35 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
List of map and figures
List of tables
Series editor's foreword
List of abbreviations
2. Dynamics of language shift
3. On models and terms
4. Dynamics of convergence and transference
5. Dynamics of transversion
6. Dynamics of plurilingual processing
7. Dynamics of cultural values in contact discourse
8. Towards a synthesis
Index of authors
Index of languages
Index of subjects.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×