Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
What is ethnicity? Is there a 'white' way of speaking? Why do people sometimes borrow features of another ethnic group's language? Why do we sometimes hear an accent that isn't there? This lively overview, first published in 2006, reveals the fascinating relationship between language and ethnic identity, exploring the crucial role it plays in both revealing a speaker's ethnicity and helping to construct it. Drawing on research from a range of ethnic groups around the world, it shows how language contributes to the social and psychological processes involved in the formation of ethnic identity, exploring both the linguistic features of ethnic language varieties and also the ways in which language is used by different ethnic groups. Complete with discussion questions and a glossary, Language and Ethnicity will be welcomed by students and researchers in sociolinguistics, as well as anybody interested in ethnic issues, language and education, inter-ethnic communication, and the relationship between language and identity.Read more
- First overview of the relationship between language and the construction of individual ethnic identity
- Looks at the language of a wide range of ethnic groups around the world
- Written in a lively and accessible style
Reviews & endorsements
"Fought's latest book on sociolinguistics is informative, comprehensive, and enlightening. It provides an accessible discussion of the interrelationship of language and ethnicity with superb examples of all of the phenomena discussed. A glossary of terms and a comprehensive set of references complement this excellent volume."
-Frank Nuessel, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Language Problems & Language Planning
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: September 2006
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521612913
- length: 264 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 140 x 14 mm
- weight: 0.31kg
- availability: Manufactured on demand: supplied direct from the printer
Table of Contents
Part I. General Issues in Ethnicity and Language:
1. What is ethnicity?
2. Language and the construction of ethnic identity
Part II. Linguistic Features and Ethnicity in Specific Groups:
3. African-American groups
4. Latino groups
5. Linguistic variation in other multiethnic settings
6. Are white people ethnic? Whiteness, dominance, and ethnicity
7. Dialect contact, ethnicity and language change
Part III. The Role of Language Use in Ethnicity:
8. Discourse features, pragmatics and ethnicity
9. Interethnic communication and language prejudice
10. Crossing: may I borrow your ethnicity?
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×