Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Charles Darwin changed the direction of modern thought by establishing the basis of evolutionary biology. This fascinating selection of letters, offers a glimpse of his daily experiences, scientific observations, personal concerns and friendships. Beginning with a charming set of letters at the age of twelve, through his university years in Edinburgh and Cambridge up to the publication of his most famous work, On the Origin of Species in 1859, these letters chart one of the most exciting periods of Darwin's life, including the voyage of the Beagle and subsequent studies which led him to develop his theory of natural selection. Darwin's vivid writing style enables the reader to see the world through his own eyes, as he matures from grubby schoolboy in Shropshire to one of the most controversial thinkers of modern times. This is a special Anniversary Edition of the best-selling Burkhardt: Charles Darwin's Letters: A Selection, 1825â1859Read more
- A Foreword by the late Stephen Jay Gould puts the letters into their wider historical, social and scientific context
- Based on the original publication, Burkhardt: Charles Darwin's Letters: A Selection 18251859 (Cambridge University Press) this volume includes recently discovered letters, written by Darwin as a twelve year old schoolboy, that have never been published before
- Clear explanatory notes construct a narrative to the letters and interesting biographies about each character bring the book to life
Reviews & endorsements
"This fascinating selection of letters...chart one of the most exciting periods of Darwin's life, including the voyage of the Beagle and subsequent studies which led him to develop his theory of natural selection."
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2008
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521898621
- length: 286 pages
- dimensions: 234 x 160 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.6kg
- contains: 6 b/w illus.
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
Foreword Stephen Jay Gould
Note on the text
Symbols and abbreviations
The voyage: South America - East Coast
The voyage: South American - West Coast
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×