Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book describes work on the characterization of closed 4-manifolds in terms of familiar invariants such as Euler characteristic, fundamental group, and Stiefel-Whitney classes. Using techniques from homological group theory, the theory of 3-manifolds and topological surgery, infrasolvmanifolds are characterized up to homeomorphism, and surface bundles are characterized up to simple homotopy equivalence. Non-orientable cases are also considered wherever possible, and in the final chapter the results obtained earlier are applied to 2-knots and complex analytic surfaces.
Be the first to review this book
- Date Published: May 1994
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521467780
- length: 184 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 11 mm
- weight: 0.28kg
- availability: Manufactured on demand: supplied direct from the printer
Table of Contents
1. Algebraic preliminaries
2. General results on the homotopy type of 4-manifolds
3. Mapping tori and circle bundles
4. Surface bundles
5. Simple homotopy type, s-cobordism and homeomorphism
6. Aspherical geometries
7. Manifolds covered by S2 x R2
8. Manifolds covered by S3 x R
9. Geometries with compact models
10. Applications to 2-knots and complex surfaces
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×