Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Most users of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) approach it differently than physicians, because they employ informal knowledge, based on their experiences, beliefs, and values. Mary Ruggie stresses that, although physicians also use informal knowledge from their clinical experience to understand patients and their needs, they rely on formal knowledge, based on science, to understand medicine. Thus, if CAM is going to become a legitimate part of health care, physicians must insist that scientific research prove its safety and efficacy.Read more
- It explains what CAM is from the standpoint of informal knowledge, based on experience, beliefs and values, and formal knowledge based on science
- Explains how research is legitimizing CAM in the eyes of physicians and facilitating its mainstreaming into health care
Reviews & endorsements
"[An] extremely comprehensive, detailed, and well-referenced look at the explosion of interest in CAM."
Annals of Internal MedicineSee more reviews
"A superb dissection ... the best sociological interpretation of [the] subject currently available."
American Journal of Sociology
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: April 2004
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521834292
- length: 248 pages
- dimensions: 235 x 158 x 21 mm
- weight: 0.478kg
- contains: 12 tables
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
List of tables
List of acronyms
1. Introducing CAM and the many questions it raises
2. Understanding CAM: the problem of knowledge and the power of words
3. The growth of CAM: patterns of use and meaning
4. Physicians: learning new ways
5. Medical research: science and interpretation
6. Investigating CAM: the devil in the details
7. The road ahead: accommodation or integration?
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website, your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×