Part of Darwin College Lectures
Adobe eBook Reader
Other available formats:
Looking for an evaluation copy?
This title is not currently available for evaluation. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an evaluation copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Life is a compelling addition to the Darwin College Lecture Series, in which eight distinguished authors each present an essay from their area of expertise devoted to the theme of 'life'. The book forges connections between art, science and the humanities in a vibrant and thought-provoking collection that exposes both conventional and unconventional views on the meaning of life, the enigmatic boundaries between the living and the dead, and what may or may not follow afterwards. This collection arises from the Darwin College Lecture Series of 2012 and includes contributions from eight distinguished scholars, all of whom are held in esteem not only for their research, but also for their ability to communicate their subject to popular audiences.Read more
- Presents a vibrant and thought-provoking collection of essays that expose both conventional and unconventional views on the theme of 'life'
- Provides fascinating insights into what is meant by life, and how it is approached by both science and society
- Includes contributions from eight distinguished authors, who each present an essay on the topic from their area of expertise
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: August 2014
- format: Adobe eBook Reader
- isbn: 9781316094228
- contains: 32 b/w illus. 9 colour illus. 3 tables
- availability: This ISBN is for an eBook version which is distributed on our behalf by a third party.
Table of Contents
1. Life and death of a cell Ron Laskey
2. The spark of life Frances Ashcroft
3. From genomes to the diversity of life Michael Akam
4. Artificial life Chris Bishop
5. Life in conflict: soldier, surgeon, photographer, fly Mark de Rond
6. Life in the ancient world Michael Scott
7. Life in ruins Robert Macfarlane
8. The after life Clive Gamble
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×