Request examination copy
Instructors may request a copy of this title for examination
This textbook offers in ten lessons a comprehensive grammar of the Hittite language with ample exercise material both in transliteration and cuneiform. It contains a separate paradigms section, an index of syntactic and semantic topics treated as well as a list of all cuneiform signs used in the book. A full glossary concludes the textbook. The cuneiform is not necessary and can be left optional if so desired. The introduction gives the necessary cultural and historical background and gives suggestions for further reading. It also explains the principles of the cuneiform writing system. The book can be used both in trimester and semester systems.Read more
- New introductory textbook arising from the author's own teaching which makes learning Hittite possible for students and scholars of Hittite and ancient Near Eastern studies, Biblical studies, classics and Indo-European linguistics
- Makes extensive use of material from real Hittite texts
- Introduces the cuneiform script, thereby enabling the student to understand why the language looks the way it does and where some of its problems come from
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 2012
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521133005
- length: 222 pages
- dimensions: 244 x 173 x 15 mm
- weight: 0.45kg
- contains: 13 b/w illus. 1 map 123 tables
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Appendix 1. Paradigms
Appendix 2. Sources of exercise material
Appendix 3. Index of syntax and phonological phenomena
Appendix 4. Cuneiform sign list
Appendix 5. Glossary.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Hittite Myth and History
- Topics in Linguistics (Hittite)
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×