- Subject(s):English Literature
- Available from: March 2018
This series contains poetry and prose anthologies composed of writers from across the English-speaking world.
Send a Query×
Stories of Ourselves Volume 2 is a set text for Cambridge IGCSE®, O Level and International AS & A Level Literature in English courses. The anthology contains short stories written in English by authors from many different countries and cultures, including Charles Dickens, Virginia Woolf, Christina Rossetti, Janet Frame, Jhumpa Lahiri, Romesh Gunesekera, Segun Afolabi, Margaret Atwood and many others. Classic writers appear alongside new voices from around the world in a stimulating collection with broad appeal.
This is a set text for Cambridge IGCSE, O Level and International AS & A Level Literature in English courses.
All stories have been carefully chosen for their wide appeal and represent a variety of English-speaking cultures and countries.
Brief biographical information about the writer of each story provides useful context for students.
Notes on each story support students by explaining unfamiliar words and phrases.
Can be used alongside Stories of Ourselves Volume 1 and Songs of Ourselves Volumes 1 and 2.
- 1. Death of the Laird's Jock - Walter Scott
- 2. Dr. Heidegger's Experiment - Nathanial Hawthorne
- 3. Nick - Christina Rossetti
- 4. George Silverman's Explanation - Charles Dickens
- 5. The Nightingale and the Rose - Oscar Wilde
- 6. An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
- 7. The Melancholy Hussar of the German Legion - Thomas Hardy
- 8. The Copper Beeches - Arthur Conan Doyle
- 9. A Story of a Wedding Tour - Margaret Oliphant
- 10. The Shrinking Shoe - Walter Besant
- 11. The Middle Years - Henry James
- 12. Going Blind - Henry Lawson
- 13. The Little Regiment - Stephen Crane
- 14. The Woman's Rose - Olive Schreiner
- 15. The Lady's Maid's Bell - Edith Wharton
- 16. The Furnished Room - O. Henry
- 17. Gabriel-Ernest - Saki (Hector Hugh Munro)
- 18. The Widow's Might - Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- 19. Eveline - James Joyce
- 20. Them Others - Stacy Aumonier
- 21. The Doll's House - Katherine Mansfield
- 22. A Warning to the Curious - M.R. James
- 23. Death in the Woods - Sherwood Anderson
- 24. Indian Summer of an Uncle - P.G. Wodehouse
- 25. 'And Women Must Weep' - Henry Handel Richardson
- 26. The Black Ball - Ralph Emerson
- 27. Lappin and Lapinova - Virginia Woolf
- 28. Stability - Philip K. Dick
- 29. The Tower - Marghanita Laski
- 30. The Gold Watch - Mlk Raj Anand
- 31. The Reservoir - Janet Frame
- 32. Thank You M'am - Langston Hughes
- 33. A Visit - Anna Kavan
- 34. The Axe - Penelope Fitzgerald
- 35. When It Happens - Margaret Atwood
- 36. Words - Carol Shields
- 37. The Man Who Walked on the Moon - J.G. Ballard
- 38. A Walk to the Jetty - Jamaica Kincaid
- 39. In the Mountains - Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
- 40. Showing the Flag - Jane Gardam
- 41. Sharmaji - Anjana Appachana
- 42. Mrs. Sen's - Jumpa Lahiri
- 43. A Thousand Years of Good Prayers - Yiyun Li
- 44. Mrs Mahmood - Segun Afolabi
- 45. Promenade - Henrietta Rose-Innes
- 46. The Plantation - Ovo Adagha
- 47. Haywards Heath - Aminatta Forna
- 48. The Paper Menagerie - Ken Liu
- 49. Fluke - Romesh Gunesekera.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×