Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The Middle Helladic period has received little attention, partially because of scholars' view of it as merely the prelude to the Mycenaean period and partially because of the dearth of archaeological evidence from the period. In this book, Helène Whittaker demonstrates that Middle Helladic Greece is far more interesting than its material culture might at first suggest. Whittaker comprehensively reviews and discusses the archaeological evidence for religion on the Greek mainland, focusing on the relationship between religious expression and ideology. The book argues that religious beliefs and rituals played a significant role in the social changes that were occurring at the time. The arguments and conclusions of this book will be relevant beyond the Greek Bronze Age and will contribute to the general archaeological debate on prehistoric religion.Read more
- Represents a different interpretation of the Greek Middle Bronze Age
- Provides a model for understanding the changes that took place at the transition from the Middle to Late Bronze Age, which ultimately led to the development of Mycenaean palatial society
- Stresses the role of religion in social change
- Integrates Aegean archaeology into the general discussion of the European Bronze Age
Reviews & endorsements
"Whittaker’s volume on Middle Bronze Age religion is a very welcome contribution to the field on two counts: it will serve as a valuable corrective to outdated views of [Middle Helladic] culture, and it will provide a foundation for our growing understanding of Helladic religion and its development."
Susan Lupack, European Journal of Archaeology
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: May 2014
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781107049871
- length: 300 pages
- dimensions: 261 x 184 x 23 mm
- weight: 0.84kg
- contains: 14 b/w illus. 7 maps 4 tables
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
2. The formation of the Middle Helladic period
3. Religion and society in the Middle Helladic period
4. The transition from the Middle to the Late Bronze Age
5. Religion and society in the Late Helladic period
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×