Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Documentary Film Classics offers close readings on a number of major films, such as Nanook of the North, Land Without Bread, Night and Fog, Chronicle of a Summer and Don't Look Back. Spanning the history of the documentary film tradition, William Rothman analyzes the philosophical and historical issues and themes implicit in these works. Designed to guide film students through the "texts" of a wide range of documentaries, his readings also focus on the achievements of these works as films per se.Read more
- Provides close critical readings of several major documentary films
- Sustains reflection on crucial philosophical and historical issues and themes
- Well illustrated with 150 stills
- All the films discussed are true classics - standard in the curriculum of documentary film
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 1997
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521456814
- length: 240 pages
- dimensions: 228 x 152 x 16 mm
- weight: 0.395kg
- contains: 196 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Nanook of the North
2. Land Without Bread
3. Night and Fog
4. Chronicle of a Summer: Jean Rouch, Cinema-verite and 'shared anthropology'
5. Cinema-verite in America (I): A Happy Mother's Day
6. Cinema-verite in America (II): rebel with a cause: Don't Look Back.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×