Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
The Cambridge Companion to Giotto serves as an introduction to one of the most important masters of early Italian art. Providing an overview of his life and career, this volume offers essays by leading authorities on the critical reception of the artist, an analysis of workshop practices of the period, the complexities of religious and secular patronage, Giotto’s innovations in painting and architecture, and close readings of his most celebrated work, the frescoes of the Arena Chapel in Padua. Designed to serve as an essential resource for students of late medieval and early Renaissance Italy, The Cambridge Companion to Giotto also provides a chronology of the artist’s life and a select but comprehensive bibliography.Read more
- Includes latest scholarship specially commissioned for volume
- Accessible to students and of interest to scholars
- Inexpensive compared to other recent books on Giotto
Reviews & endorsements
"...the book meets its stated goals and even surpasses them in flashes of brilliance. That a team of authors this talented and diverse has appeared together is a point to celebrate...a newly conceived and broader portrait of Giotto the artist, a man whom we are still far from knowing intimately." -CAA Reviews, Thomas J. Loughman, Phoenix Art Museum
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: December 2007
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521779845
- length: 378 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 152 x 20 mm
- weight: 0.5kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Giotto past and present: an introduction Anne Derbes and Mark Sandona
2. In search of an artist Hayden B .J. Maginnis
3. Giotto and the St. Francis cycle at Assisi Bruno Zanardi
4. Giotto's figures William Tronzo
5. Giotto and architecture Gary M. Radke
6. Giotto and art for the friars: resolutions spiritual and artistic Joanna Cannon
7. Giotto and the figure of St. Francis William R. Cook
8. The Ognissanti Madonna and the Humiliati order in Florence Julia Miller and Laurie Taylor-Mitchell
9. Giotto and his lay patrons Benjamin G. Kohl
10. Reading the Arena Chapel Anne Derbes and Mark Sandona
11. The legend of Giotto's wit and the Arena Chapel Andrew Ladis.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×