Out of Print
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
A Journey to Flanders and Holland, first published in 1797 in the Works of Sir Joshua Reynolds, is his perceptive account of the pictures which he saw in the Austrian Netherlands, the United Provinces and the Rhineland in 1781. The Journey is here published separately for the first time, in a new edition which is also the first to include explanatory notes on the pictures mentioned by Reynolds and to illustrate all those which he discussed in any depth. Harry Mount provides an introduction which sets the Journey in its context and draws on unpublished material from Reynolds's notebooks to give insights into his critical procedures. All in all, this edition of the Journey makes an important contribution both to the history of the reception of Netherlandish art and to our understanding of the development of art theory and criticism in eighteenth-century England.Read more
- First critical edition of this text which will be studied alongside the discourses by all those interested in British, Dutch and Flemish painting
- Well illustrated with sixteen colour plates
- Notes on text at the foot of each page for ease of reference
Reviews & endorsements
'… welcome to students of British art and aesthetics in the eighteenth century, earning the edition an honourable place on the shelves of the specialist.' The Times Literary Supplement
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: January 1997
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521451291
- length: 348 pages
- dimensions: 254 x 197 x 29 mm
- weight: 1.21kg
- contains: 80 b/w illus. 16 colour illus. 1 map
- availability: Unavailable - out of print September 2004
Table of Contents
A note on the edited text
A JOURNEY TO FLANDERS AND HOLLAND IN THE YEAR 1781
1. Reynolds's notebooks: order of use
2. Reynolds's itinerary and travel notes
3. A journey to the Netherlands in the year 1785
4. Unpublished letters concerning Reynolds's tour of the Netherlands
INDEX OF ARTISTS
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×