Out of Print
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Marcia Werner challenges several long-standing beliefs about the Pre-Raphaelite painting movement, often characterized as a disparate group who pursued divergent, even antithetical goals. Werner argues that the Pre-Raphaelites developed and shared an artistic philosophy comprehensive enough to embrace all of their differences. She reconstructs this credo through careful study of writings by Pre-Raphaelite artists.Read more
- Establishes a comprehensive theory of early Pre-Raphaelite art
- Identifies Pre-Raphaelitism as a distinctly English expression of Realism, reflecting British artistic and philosophical heritage
- Uncovers previously neglected sources for early Pre-Raphaelite art, and re-evaluates the purported contribution of John Ruskin
Reviews & endorsements
' … this is a fascinating book, which is argued very convincingly because it is so carefully based on empirical research and primary sources … Werner's arguments will probably stand the test of time.' The Art BookSee more reviews
'It is already proving a stimulating addition to my students bibliographies and must become essential reading for scholars, students and lay enthusiasts alike - anyone interested in the thought, art or culture of nineteenth-century Europe.' True Principles
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 2005
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521824682
- length: 300 pages
- dimensions: 254 x 182 x 24 mm
- weight: 0.825kg
- contains: 58 b/w illus.
- availability: Unavailable - out of print
Table of Contents
Part I. Theory:
1. Received opinion
2. John Ruskin
3. Modern Painters I: The theoretic faculty
4. Modern Painters II: the imaginative faculty
5. Ruskin's Pre-Raphaelitism
6. Pre-Raphaelite assessment of Ruskin's influence
7. The Germ
8. William Michael Rossetti: history and time in Pre-Raphaelite art
9. The interconnection of sacred and secular in Pre-Raphaelitism
10. William Michael Rossetti's review articles
11. John Stuart Mill: utilitarianism and the British Empire
12. Thomas Carlyle and The Oxford and Cambridge Magazine
Part II. Practice:
13. The shared vision of Pre-Raphaelite realism
14. Dante Gabriel Rossetti and French realism
15. Dante Gabriel Rossetti: realism in early Pre-Raphaelite poetry
16. Hand and Soul and St. Agnes of Intercession
17. Dante Gabriel Rossetti: paintings and drawings
19. John Everett Millais
20. William Holman Hunt
21. The Lady of Shalott
22. May Morning on Magdalen Tower
23. Ford Madox Brown
24. Work and Cromwell on his Farm.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×