Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This two-volume work by Theodor Koch-Grünberg (1872–1924), director of the Ethnographical Museum in Berlin, tells the story of his major expedition to North-West Brazil and describes the indigenous tribes and the local geography. In contrast to Koch-Grünberg's many monographs and essays on the same subject (listed in his Foreword), this book is directed at a lay readership. Koch-Grünberg states his aim of correcting a false impression of the indigenous peoples drawn from 'novels about Indians read during one's youth' and the accounts of his explorations are permeated by a deeply-held respect for the humanity he encounters. Although its primary interest to scholars lies in its anthropological and ethnographical content, the text is full of botanical, geographical and linguistic detail, interspersed with photographs taken by the author. Volume 1, published in 1909, covers the author's travels from Pará to São Felippe.
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: February 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9781108007429
- length: 400 pages
- dimensions: 244 x 170 x 21 mm
- weight: 0.64kg
- contains: 239 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. Pará und Manaos
2. Dampferfarht auf dem Rio Negro bis Trindade
3. Mit Ruderbooten durch die Stromschnellen
4. Reise den Rio Icana aufwärts bis Tunuhy
5. Zu den Huhuteni und Siusi am Aiary
6. Aufenthalt in Cururu-cuara
7. Tanzfest in Atiaru und die letzten Tage in Cururu-cuara
8. Jagdwaffen und Jagd am Aiary
9. Die Kaua des oberen Aiary und ihre Maskentänze
10 Über Lnd zum Caiary-Uaupes und zurück zum Aiary
11. Krankheit, Tod, Begräbnis, Hochzeit bei den Siusi
12. Zurück nach São Felippe
13. Besteigung des Cuicuiary-Gebirges
14. Bei den Tukano am Rio Tiquie
15. Bei den Tuyuka und Bara
16. Aufenthalt in Pary-Cachoeira und Rückreise nach São Felippe.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×