Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
To understand Iraq, Charles Tripp's history is the book to read. Since its first appearance in 2000, it has become a classic in the field of Middle East studies, read and admired by students, soldiers, policymakers and journalists. The book is now updated to include the recent American invasion, the fall and capture of Saddam Hussein and the subsequent descent into civil strife. What is clear is that much that has happened since 2003 was foreshadowed in the account found in this book. Tripp's thesis is that the history of Iraq throughout the twentieth-century has made it what it is today, but also provides alternative futures. Unless this is properly understood, many of the themes explored in this book - patron-client relations, organized violence, sectarian, ethnic and tribal difference - will continue to exert a hold over the future of Iraq as they did over its past.Read more
- A classic in the field of Middle East studies, the updated edition covers events since 2002
- Tripp, one of the most authoritative scholars writing in the field, explains why Iraq's past is reflected in its present
- Includes aids for students, such as chronology, maps, illustrations, and lists of further reading
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Edition: 3rd Edition
- Date Published: September 2007
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521702478
- length: 386 pages
- dimensions: 229 x 154 x 24 mm
- weight: 0.63kg
- contains: 26 b/w illus. 4 maps
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
1. The Ottoman provinces of Baghdad, Basra and Mosul
2. The British Mandate
3. The Hashemite monarchy 1932-41
4. The Hashemite monarchy 1941-58
5. The republic 1958-68
6. The Ba`th and the rule of Saddam Husain 1968-2003
7. The American occupation and the parliamentary republic
Further reading and research.
Instructors have used or reviewed this title for the following courses
- Axis of Evil: Iraq, Iran, North Korea
- HIST of Twentieth Century World
- History of Iran and Iraq
- Iran, Iraq, Lebanon
- Military HIstory ll
- Modern Iraqi Politics
- What is Iraq?
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×