Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
This is the first serious study of Tamerlane, the great nomad conqueror who rose to power in 1370 on the ruins of the Mongol Empire and led his armies on campaigns of unprecedented scope, ranging from Moscow to Delhi. As the last nomad ruler to unite the steppe regions of Eurasia, Tamerlane marks the transition from the era of nomad conquest and rule to the modern ascendency of the settled world.Read more
- Highly accessible account of a key figure in the history of conquest and warfare
- Only available single-book, full account of this extraordinary individual
- Good insight into tribal politics of the time
Reviews & endorsements
"Manz's book fulfills its claim to be the first full scholarly study of Tamerlane....This well-written study will be hard to surpass..." Choice
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: March 1999
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521633840
- length: 248 pages
- dimensions: 216 x 163 x 15 mm
- weight: 0.32kg
- contains: 4 maps
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
2. The Ulus Chaghatay in the mid fourteenth century
3. Temür's rise to power: the politics of the Ulus Chaghatay
4. Temür's army of conquest: the Ulus Chaghatay
5. Temür's army of conquest: outsiders and conquered peoples
6. Structure and function in Temür's administration
7. The struggle for succession
Appendix A. The powers of the Ulus Chaghatay
Appendix B. Members of Temür's family
Appendix C. The formal administrative structure
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×