Other available formats:
Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact email@example.com providing details of the course you are teaching.
Free surface problems occur in many aspects of science and of everyday life such as the waves on a beach, bubbles rising in a glass of champagne, melting ice, pouring flows from a container and sails billowing in the wind. Consequently, the effect of surface tension on gravity-capillary flows continues to be a fertile field of research in applied mathematics and engineering. Concentrating on applications arising from fluid dynamics, Vanden-Broeck draws upon his years of experience in the field to address the many challenges involved in attempting to describe such flows mathematically. Whilst careful numerical techniques are implemented to solve the basic equations, an emphasis is placed upon the reader developing a deep understanding of the structure of the resulting solutions. The author also reviews relevant concepts in fluid mechanics to help readers from other scientific fields who are interested in free boundary problems.Read more
- Major work highlighting recent developments in the field
- Well-respected author with years of research experience
- Develops understanding of structure of solutions gained from careful implementation of numerical techniques
Reviews & endorsements
"This monograph covers a large number of topics on free-surface flows and should be of interest to anyone in fluid mechanics. It is particularly well suited as a reference book (although parts of it may also be used as introductory material for anyone wanting to get into the subject."
Mats Harald Ehrnstrom, Mathematical Reviews
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: August 2010
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9780521811903
- length: 330 pages
- dimensions: 255 x 180 x 21 mm
- weight: 0.82kg
- contains: 204 b/w illus.
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
2. Basic concepts
3. Free surface flows which intersect walls
4. Linear free surface flows generated by moving disturbances
5. Nonlinear waves (asymptotic solutions)
6. Numerical computations of nonlinear water waves
7. Nonlinear free surface flows generated by moving disturbances
8. Free surface flows with waves and intersections with rigid walls
9. Waves with constant vorticity
10. Three-dimensional free surface flows
11. Time dependent free surface flows
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email firstname.lastname@example.orgRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×