Looking for an examination copy?
This title is not currently available for examination. However, if you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
This book concerns existence and necessary conditions, such as Potryagin's maximum principle, for optimal control problems described by ordinary and partial differential equations. The author obtains these necessary conditions from Kuhn-Tucker theorems for nonlinear programming problems in infinite dimensional spaces. The optimal control problems include control constraints, state constraints and target conditions. Fattorini studies evolution partial differential equations using semigroup theory, abstract differential equations in linear spaces, integral equations and interpolation theory. The author establishes existence of optimal controls for arbitrary control sets by means of a general theory of relaxed controls. Applications include nonlinear systems described by partial differential equations of hyperbolic and parabolic type and results on convergence of suboptimal controls.Read more
- Unifies finite and infinite dimensional control problems
- Deals with the important problems of target conditions and state constraints
Reviews & endorsements
"Fattorini's extensive monograph is a fundamental contribution to optimal control theory of evolution finite- or infinite-dimensional systems, and summarizes and extends his many decades of intensive research in this area...This outstanding monograph should be on the desk of every expert in optimal control theory...it will be a great source for graduate students interested in calculus of variations, nonlinear programming, optimization theory and optimal control." Mathematical Reviews
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: June 2010
- format: Paperback
- isbn: 9780521154543
- length: 816 pages
- dimensions: 234 x 156 x 41 mm
- weight: 1.07kg
- availability: Available
Table of Contents
Part I. Finite Dimensional Control Problems:
1. Calculus of variations and control theory
2. Optimal control problems without target conditions
3. Abstract minimization problems: the minimum principle for the time optimal problem
4. Abstract minimization problems: the minimum principle for general optimal control problems
Part II. Infinite Dimensional Control Problems:
5. Differential equations in Banach spaces and semigroup theory
6. Abstract minimization problems in Hilbert spaces: applications to hyperbolic control systems
7. Abstract minimization problems in Banach spaces: abstract parabolic linear and semilinear equations
8. Interpolation and domains of fractional powers
9. Linear control systems
10. Optimal control problems with state constraints
11. Optimal control problems with state constraints: The abstract parabolic case
Part III. Relaxed Controls:
12. Spaces of relaxed controls: topology and measure theory
13. Relaxed controls in finite dimensional systems: existence theory
14. Relaxed controls in infinite dimensional spaces: existence theory.
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×