1. , , , . Sickle cell painful crisis: a multifactorial event. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1987;361–380.
2. , , . Intracellular polymerization of sickle hemoglobin: effects of cell heterogeneity. J Clin Invest. 1983;72:846–852.
3. , , . Microvascular determinants of blood flow behavior and HbSS erythrocyte plugging in microcirculation. Blood Cells. 1982;8:127–137.
4. . Extracorpuscular factors in the pathogenesis of sickle cell disease. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1982;4:316–319.
5. , , , , . Erythrocytes in sickle cell anemia are heterogeneous in their rheological and hemodynamic characteristics. J Clin Invest. 1983;72:22–31.
6. , . Sickle cell vaso-occlusion. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2005;19:771–884.
7. , , , , . Physical and cognitive-behavioral activities used in the home management of sickle pain: a daily diary study in children and adolescents. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2004;43:674–678.
8. , , , , . Vaso-occlusion in sickle cell anemia: role of interactions between blood cells and endothelium. Hematol J. 2004;5(suppl 3):195–198.
9. . Leukocyte adhesion and the pathophysiology of sickle cell disease. Curr Opin Hematol. 2006;13:40–44.
10. . The intriguing contribution of white blood cells to sickle cell disease – a red cell disorder. Blood Rev. 2004;18:65–73.
11. , , . Protein C and S and inflammation in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2004;76:26–32.
12. , . The effect of increased fetal hemoglobin production on the frequency of vaso-occlusive crisis in sickle cell disease. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1987;240:277–285.
13. , . Sickle cell anemia and related hemoglobinopathies. Pediatr Clin North Am. 1980;27:429–447.
14. , . Bone involvement in sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2005;129:482–490.
15. , , , , . Musculoskeletal manifestations of sickle cell disease. Radiographics. 2007;27:1005–1021.
16. . Bone disorders in sickle-cell disease. Int Orthop. 1993;17:397–399.
17. , . Natural history and distribution of bone and bone marrow infarction in sickle hemoglobinopathies. J Nucl Med. 2002;43:896–900.
18. , , . Recording of crisis pain in sickle cell disease. Adv Pain Res Ther. 1990;313–321.
19. , , . Multidisciplinary approach to pain management in sickle cell disease. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1982;4:328–333.
20. , , , . Sickle cell dactylitis. Arch Intern Med. 1980;140:439.
21. , . Sickle-cell dactylitis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1976;58:1161–1163.
22. , , . Observations on the natural history of dactylitis in homozygous sickle cell disease. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1981;20:311–317.
23. , , , . The handfoot syndrome in sickle-cell disease in young children. Pediatrics. 1963;31:975–982.
24. , , , , . Early onset dactylitis associated with the occurrence of severe events in children with sickle cell anaemia. The Paediatric Cohort of Guadeloupe (1984–99). Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2006;20:59–66.
25. , . Bone and marrow imaging in sickle cell disease: diagnosis of infarction. Semin Nucl Med. 1976;6:83–93.
26. , , . Magnetic resonance imaging of bone marrow in sickle cell disease: clinical, hematologic, and pathologic correlations. Blood. 1990;75:274–283.
27. , , . Painful sickle cell crisis: bone marrow patterns observed with MR imaging. Radiology. 1986;161:211–215.
28. , , . Febrile osseous pain in children with sickle cell disease: MRI findings. J Radiol. 2005;86:1693–1697.
29. , . Acute infarction of long bones in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr. 1982;101:170–175.
30. , , . Cerebrovascular accidents in sickle cell disease: rates and risk factors. Blood. 1998;91:288–294.
31. , , , , , . Prognostic significance of early vaso-occlusive complications in children with sickle cell anemia. Blood. 2007;109:40–45.
32. , . Molecular characteristics of pediatric patients with sickle cell anemia and stroke. Am J Hematol. 2001;67:179–182.
33. . Current issues in sickle cell pain and its management. Hematol Am Soc Hematol Educ Progr. 2007;2007:97–105.
34. , . Pain in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease: a descriptive study. J Pediatr Psychol. 1990;15:643–658.
35. , . Content validity of an instrument to measure young children's perceptions of the intensity of their pain. J Pediatr Nurs. 1986;1:386–395.
36. , , . The assessment of pain and plasma beta-endorphin immunoactivity in burned children. Pain. 1985;22:173–182.
37. , . Measurement of pain in infants and children. Seattle, WA: IASP Press; 1998.
38. , . Clinical validation of FLACC: preverbal patient pain scale. Pediatr Nurs. 2003;29:140–146.
39. , . Pain expression in neonates: facial action and cry. Pain. 1987;28:395–410.
40. , , . Behavioral distress in children with cancer undergoing medical procedures: developmental considerations. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1980;48:356–365.
41. , , , . Home management of pain in sickle cell disease: a daily diary study in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2002;24:643–647.
42. , , , . Characteristics of pain managed at home in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease by using diary self-reports. J Pain. 2002;3:461–470.
43. , , . Psychological distress and coping in sickle cell disease: comparison of British and Jamaican attitudes. Ethn Health. 2001;6:129–136.
44. , . Examining the validity, reliability, and preference of three pediatric pain measurement tools in African-American children. Pediatr Nurs. 2003;29:54–59.
45. . The acute chest syndrome. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2005;19:857,79, vi–vii.
46. . Pain in the pediatric patient: practical aspects of assessment. Pediatr Ann. 1995;24:126, 33, 137–138.
47. . Psychological aspects of pain perception. Arch Oral Biol. 1994;39(suppl):55S–62S.
48. . Evaluating a child's pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1989;4:198–214.
49. , , . The Varni/Thompson Pediatric Pain Questionnaire. I. Chronic musculoskeletal pain in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Pain. 1987;28:27–38.
50. , , , , . Outcome of sickle cell anemia: a 4-decade observational study of 1056 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2005;84:363–376.
51. . The multidimensional assessment and management of recurrent pain syndromes in children. Behav Res Ther. 1987;25:251–262.
52. , , . A survey of children's acute, recurrent, and chronic pain: validation of the pain experience interview. Pain. 2000;87:59–73.
53. , . Pain management in children. Can J Anaesth. 1988;35:107–110.
54. , , . Prediction of adverse outcomes in children with sickle cell disease. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:83–89.
55. . Pathophysiology and treatment of sickle cell disease. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2005;3:492–505.
56. . Pain management in sickle cell disease: rationale and techniques. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1989;565:189–206.
57. , . Renal manifestations of sickle cell disease. Arch Intern Med. 1974;133:660–669.
58. , , , . Fluidotherapy and exercise in the management of sickle cell anemia: a clinical report. Phys Ther. 1984;64:1520–1522.
59. , . Fluid replacement therapy for acute episodes of pain in people with sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;2:CD005406.
60. , , , , . Effects of oxygen inhalation on endogenous erythropoietin kinetics, erythropoiesis, and properties of blood cells in sickle-cell anemia. N Engl J Med. 1984;311:291–295.
61. . Oxygen therapy in sickle-cell anemia. N Engl J Med. 1984;311:1319–1320.
62. , , . Oxygen therapy in sickle cell disease. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1992;14:222–228.
63. , , . Impact of chronic transfusion on incidence of pain and acute chest syndrome during the Stroke Prevention Trial (STOP) in sickle-cell anemia. J Pediatr. 2001;139:785–789.
64. , , . Effects of erythrocytapheresis transfusion on the viscoelasticity of sickle cell blood. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2004;30:83–97.
65. , , , , , . Alloimmunization in sickle cell anemia and transfusion of racially unmatched blood. N Engl J Med. 1990;322:1617–1621.
66. , , . Morbidity and mortality in chronically transfused subjects with thalassemia and sickle cell disease: a report from the multi-center study of iron overload. Am J Hematol. 2007;82:255–265.
67. , , . Causes and outcomes of the acute chest syndrome in sickle cell disease: National Acute Chest Syndrome Study Group. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1855–1865.
68. , , . A collaborative, double-blind randomized study of cetiedil citrate in sickle cell crisis. Blood. 1986;67:1442–1447.
69. , , , . Treatment of sickle cell disease with danazol. J Fla Med Assoc. 1986;73:847–848.
70. , , , , , . Treatment of sickle cell anemia with hydroxyurea and erythropoietin. N Engl J Med. 1990;323:366–372.
71. , , , , , . Hydroxyurea and erythropoietin therapy in sickle cell anemia. Semin Oncol. 1992;19:74–81.
72. , , . Effect of hydroxyurea on the rheological properties of sickle erythrocytes in vivo. Am J Hematol. 1989;32:104–111.
73. , , . Hydroxyurea: effects on hemoglobin F production in patients with sickle cell anemia. Blood. 1992;79:2555–2565.
74. , , . Effect of hydroxyurea on the frequency of painful crises in sickle cell anemia: Investigators of the Multicenter Study of Hydroxyurea in Sickle Cell Anemia. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1317–1322.
75. , . Stimulation of fetal hemoglobin production by hydroxyurea in sickle cell anemia. Prog Clin Biol Res. 1989;316B:295–306.
76. , . Chemotherapy and hemoglobin F synthesis in sickle cell disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1989;565:222–227.
77. , , , , . 5-Azacytidine increases HbF production and reduces anemia in sickle cell disease: dose-response analysis of subcutaneous and oral dosage regimens. Blood. 1985;66:527–532.
78. , , , , . Cost-effectiveness of hydroxyurea in sickle cell anemia: Investigators of the Multicenter Study of Hydroxyurea in Sickle Cell Anemia. Am J Hematol. 2000;64:26–31.
79. , , , , , . Fetal hemoglobin in sickle cell anemia: determinants of response to hydroxyurea. Multicenter Study of Hydroxyurea. Blood. 1997;89:1078–1088.
80. , . A cautionary note regarding hydroxyurea in sickle cell disease. Blood. 1994;83:1124–1128.
81. , , , , , . Steady-state haemoglobin level in sickle cell anaemia increases with an increase in erythrocyte membrane n-3 fatty acids. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005;72:415–421.
82. , , , , , . Blood mononuclear cells and platelets have abnormal fatty acid composition in homozygous sickle cell disease. Ann Hematol. 2005;84:578–583.
83. , , . Expression of an anti-sickling beta-globin in human erythroblasts derived from retrovirally transduced primitive normal and sickle cell disease hematopoietic cells. Exp Hematol. 2004;32:461–469.
84. , , , , , . Parent perspectives on pain management, coping, and family functioning in pediatric sickle cell disease. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2007;46:311–319.
85. . The management of pain in sickle cell disease. Pediatr Clin North Am. 1989;36:1029–1045.
86. . Pain-behavior contracts: effective management of the adolescent in sickle-cell crisis. J Pediatr Nurs. 1989;4:320–324.
87. , , . Hypnotically induced pain control in sickle cell anemia. Pediatrics. 1979;64:533–536.
88. . Applications of cyberphysiologic techniques in pain management. Pediatr Ann. 1991;20:145, 146, 148–150, 152–156.
89. , , . The effectiveness of biofeedback-assisted relaxation in modifying sickle cell crises. Biofeedback Self Regul. 1987;12:51–61.
90. , , , , . Non-pharmacologic management of sickle cell pain. Hematology. 2004;9:235–237.
91. , , . Self-hypnosis training as an adjunctive treatment in the management of pain associated with sickle cell disease. Int J Clin Exp Hypn. 1997;45:417–432.
92. , . Natural history of sickle cell disease and the effects on biopsychosocial development. J Health Soc Policy. 1994;5:7–18.
93. , , , , . A comparative study of cognitive behavior therapy versus general anesthesia for painful medical procedures in children. Pain. 1995;62:3–9.
94. , . Comprehensive, integrative management of pain for patients with sickle-cell disease. J Altern Complement Med. 2006;12:995–1001.
95. , , . Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation treatment of sickle cell pain crises. Acta Haematol. 1988;80:99–102.
96. , . Treating sickle cell pain like cancer pain. Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:364–368.
97. . Management of sickle cell disease: management would improve if doctors listened more to patients. BMJ. 1998;316:935.
98. , , , . Sickle cell-related pain: perceptions of medical practitioners. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1997;14:168–174.
99. . Development and evaluation of a sickle cell assessment instrument. Pediatr Nurs. 2004;30:451–458.
100. . Management of sickle pain. Curr Opin Hematol. 1997;4:104–111.
101. . Sickle cell disease: clinical management. Clin Haematol 1998;11:185–214.
102. . Ethical issues in the management of sickle cell pain. Am J Hematol. 2001;68:127–132.
103. . Pain management of sickle cell disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2005;19:785, 802, v.
104. , , , . Opportunities to improve outcomes in sickle cell disease. Am Fam Physician. 2006;74:303–310.
105. . The challenge of painful crisis in sickle cell disease. JAMA. 2001;286:2152–2153.
106. , , , , , . Management of vaso-occlusive pain in children with sickle cell disease. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2003;25:307–311.
107. , , , , . Sickle cell disease pain management following the World Health Organization's protocol. Arch Pediatr. 2004;11:1041–1045.
108. , . Pain management for sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;2:CD003350.
109. . Management of sickle cell disease: non-addictive analgesics can be as effective as morphine and pethidine. BMJ. 1998;316:935.
110. , . Home treatment of pain for children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. Pain Manag Nurs. 2004;5:126–135.
111. , , . Home management of sickle cell-related pain in children and adolescents: natural history and impact on school attendance. Pain. 1995;61:139–144.
112. , , . Emergency department analgesia without narcotics for adults with acute sickle cell pain crisis: case reports and review of crisis management. J Emerg Med. 1991;9:445–452.
113. , , , , . Ketorolac-induced irreversible renal failure in sickle cell disease: a case report. Pediatr Nephrol. 1999;13:63–67.
114. , , , , . Tramadol infusion for the pain management in sickle cell disease: a case report. Paediatr Anaesth. 2007;17:84–86.
115. , . Ketorolac. A reappraisal of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic use in pain management. Drugs. 1997;53:139–188.
116. . Use of ketorolac in sickle-cell disease and vaso-occlusive crisis. Lancet. 1991;338:641–642.
117. , , , , . Effect of ketorolac in pediatric sickle cell vaso-occlusive pain crisis. Pediatr Emerg Care. 1999;15:179–182.
118. , , , , , . A pilot study on the efficacy of ketorolac plus tramadol infusion combined with erythrocytapheresis in the management of acute severe vaso-occlusive crises and sickle cell pain. Haematologica. 2004;89:1389–1391.
119. , , , . An open comparative study of dispersible piroxicam versus soluble acetylsalicylic acid for the treatment of osteoarticular painful attack during sickle cell crisis. Trop Med Int Health. 2000;5:81–84.
120. , , , , . Intravenous ketorolac in the emergency department management of sickle cell pain and predictors of its effectiveness. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2001;155:496–500.
121. , , . Enhancement of pain control with ketorolac tromethamine in patients with sickle cell vaso-occlusive crisis. Am J Hematol. 1994;46:43–47.
122. , , . The pharmacology of tramadol. Drugs. 1994;47:3–7.
123. . Pharmacology of opioids. Pharmacol Rev. 1983;35:283–323.
124. , , . Pharmacogenetics of opioids. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2007;81:429–444.
125. , , , . Genetic predictors of the clinical response to opioid analgesics: clinical utility and future perspectives. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2004;43:983–1013.
126. , , , , . The effect of CYP2D6 polymorphisms on the response to pain treatment for pediatric sickle cell pain crisis. J Pediatr. 2007;150:623–626.
127. , . Meperidine and ketorolac in the treatment of painful sickle cell crisis. Ann Emerg Med. 1993;22:1639–1640.
128. , , . Central nervous system excitatory effects of meperidine in cancer patients. Ann Neurol. 1983;13:180–185.
129.Meperidine usage in patients with sickle cell crisis. Ann Emerg Med. 1986;15:1506–1508.
130. , , , . Serum concentrations of meperidine in patients with sickle cell crisis. Ann Emerg Med. 1986;15:433–438.
131. , , . Meperidine-related seizures associated with patient-controlled analgesia pumps. Ann Pharmacother. 1993;27:29–32.
132. , , . Low frequency of meperidine-associated seizures in sickle cell disease. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1999;38:459–462.
133. , , , , , . Accumulation of normeperidine, an active metabolite of meperidine, in patients with renal failure of cancer. Ann Intern Med. 1977;86:738–741.
134. , , . Meperidine induced seizures in sickle cell patients. Hosp Form. 1980;76:764–772.
135. , , . A shift from demerol (meperidine) to dilaudid (hydromorphone) improves pain control and decreases admissions for patients in sickle cell crisis. J Emerg Nurs. 2004;30:439–446.
136. , , , , . Comparison of intramuscular analgesic activity of butorphanol and morphine in patients with sickle cell disease. Ann Emerg Med. 1988;17:788–791.
137. , , , . Naloxone acts as a potent analgesic in transgenic mouse models of sickle cell anemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007;104:6061–6065.
138. . Opioid antagonists. Pharmacol Rev. 1967;19:463–521.
139. . Pharmacologic factors in relapse and the possible use of the narcotic antagonists in treatment. IMJ Ill Med J. 1966;130:489–494.
140. , . Ceiling respiratory depression by dezocine. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1984;35:367–373.
141. , . Ceiling effect for respiratory depression by nalbuphine. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1980;27:478–485.
142. . Sickle cell anaemia: progress in pathogenesis and treatment. Drugs. 2002;62:1143–1172.
143. , , . Efficacy of nalbuphine as a parenteral analgesic for the treatment of painful episodes in children with sickle cell disease. J Assoc Acad Minor Phys. 1990;1:90–92.
144. , , . Nalmefene or naloxone for preventing intrathecal opioid mediated side effects in cesarean delivery patients. Int J Obstet Anesth. 1997;6:231–234.
145. , , , , . Naloxone versus nalbuphine infusion for prophylaxis of epidural morphine-induced pruritus. Anesth Analg. 1996;82:641–647.
146. , . Pain crises in patients with sickle cell diseases: pathogenesis, clinical aspects, therapy. Klin Padiatr. 1995;207:321–325.
147. , , , . Sickle cell pain crisis. Lancet. 1996;347:262.
148. . Management of acute painful crises in sickle cell disease. Clin Lab Haematol. 2005;27:221–223.
149. . Sickle cell pain crisis. Lancet. 1996;347:262.
150. . Sickle cell pain crisis. Lancet. 1996;347:261–262.
151. , . Pain management in children with sickle cell disease. Paediatr Drugs. 2003;5:229–241.
152. . Sickle cell pain crisis. Lancet. 1996;347:261.
153. , , , . Intravenous narcotic therapy for children with severe sickle cell pain crisis. Am J Dis Child. 1986;140:1255–1259.
154. , , . Oral morphine protocol for sickle cell crisis pain. Md Med J. 1996;45:33–35.
155. , , . Histamine increases sickle erythrocyte adherence to endothelium. Br J Haematol. 2006;132:512–522.
156. , . Pain management for sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;2:CD003350.
157. . Management of acute painful crises in sickle cell disease. Clin Lab Haematol 2005;27:221–223.
158. , , . Patient-controlled analgesia for sickle-cell-related pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1993;8:22–28.
159. , , . Management of acute chest wall sickle cell pain with nebulized morphine. Am J Hematol. 2004;76:190–191.
160. , , . Analgesia in children with sickle cell crisis: comparison of intermittent opioids vs. continuous intravenous infusion of morphine and placebo-controlled study of oxygen inhalation. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 1992;9:317–326.
161. , , , . Randomised trial of oral morphine for painful episodes of sickle-cell disease in children. Lancet. 1997;350:1358–1361.
162. . Avoiding admission for afebrile pediatric sickle cell pain: pain management methods. J Pediatr Health Care. 2006;20:115, 122; quiz 123–125.
163. , , , , . Hospitalizations for painful episodes: association with school absenteeism and academic performance in children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs. 1995;18:1–9.
164. , , , , . Utilization of the office, hospital and emergency department for adult sickle cell patients: a five-year study. J Natl Med Assoc. 2006;98:1109–1113.
165. . Management protocol for sickle-cell disease patients with acute pain: impact on emergency department and narcotic use. Am J Emerg Med. 1986;4:267–268.
166. , , , , , . Torsade de pointes associated with very-high-dose methadone. Ann Intern Med. 2002;137:501–504.
167. , , . QTc interval prolongation associated with intravenous methadone. Pain 2003;105:499–506.
168. , , , , , . Quantification of analgesic use in children with sickle cell disease. Clin J Pain. 2007;23:8–14.
169. , . Constant morphine infusion for severe sickle cell crisis pain. Drug Intell Clin Pharm. 1987;21:625–627.
170. , , . Pethidine in sickle cell crisis. BMJ. 1992;305:182.
171. , , , . Metabolism of opioids is altered in liver microsomes of sickle cell transgenic mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2004;32:98–104.
172. , . Fast track admission for children with sickle cell crises. Opiates other than pethidine are better. BMJ. 1998;316:934–935.
173. , , , , . Patient-controlled analgesia in children and adolescents: a randomized, prospective comparison with intramuscular administration of morphine for postoperative analgesia. J Pediatr. 1991;118:460–466.
174. , , , , , . Pain relief in sickle cell crisis. Lancet. 1986;2:624–625.
175. , , , , . Patient-controlled analgesia in patients with sickle cell vaso-occlusive crisis. Am J Med Sci. 1990;299:10–12.
176. , . Patient-controlled analgesia: an appropriate method of pain control in children. Paediatr Drugs. 2001;3:273–284.
177. , , . Successful use of patient-controlled analgesia in pediatric patients 2 and 3 years old: two case reports. Am J Anesthesiol. 1997;14:212–214.
178. . New advances in the treatment of sickle cell disease: focus on perioperative significance. ***AANA J. 2001;69:281–286.
179. , , . Intermittent injection vs patient-controlled analgesia for sickle cell crisis pain: comparison in patients in the emergency department. Arch Intern Med. 1991;151:1373–1378.
180. . Patient-controlled analgesia pain management for children with sickle cell disease. J Assoc Acad Minor Phys. 1990;1:93–96.
181. , , , , . Patient-controlled analgesia for sickle cell pain crisis in a pediatric emergency department. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2004;20:2–4.
182. , , . PCA for adolescents in sickle-cell crisis. Am J Nurs. 1988;88:719, 721–722.
183. , , . The use of patient-controlled analgesia in adolescents with sickle cell pain crisis: a preliminary report. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1988;3:109–113.
184. , , . Patient-controlled analgesia for sickle-cell-related pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1993;8:22–28.
185. , , . Opioid selection during sickle cell pain crisis and its impact on the development of acute chest syndrome. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2005;45:716–724.
186. , , , . Systemic exposure to morphine and the risk of acute chest syndrome in sickle cell disease. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2004;75:140–146.
187. , , . Epidural analgesia in the management of labor pain and sickle cell crisis – a case report. Anesthesiology. 1988;68:799–800.
188. , , , , . Management of priapism in a child with sickle cell anemia; successful outcome using epidural analgesia. Can J Anaesth. 2007;54:642–645.
189. , , , , , . Epidural analgesia in a child with sickle cell disease complicated by acute abdominal pain and priapism. Br J Anaesth. 2001;87:935–936.
190. , , , , . Epidural analgesia in the management of severe vaso-occlusive sickle cell crisis. Pediatrics. 1994;93:310–315.
191. , , , , . Management of priapism in a child with sickle cell anemia; successful outcome using epidural analgesia. Can J Anaesth. 2007;54:642–645.
192. , . The prevention of pain from sickle cell disease by trandolapril. J Natl Med Assoc. 2007;99:276–278.
193. , , . High-dose intravenous methylprednisolone therapy for pain in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:733–737.
194. , , , , . Effect of Depo-Provera or Microgynon on the painful crises of sickle cell anemia patients. Contraception. 1997;56:313–16.
195. , , . Danazol therapy renders red cells resistant to osmotic lysis. FASEB J. 1989;3:157–162.
196. . Psychological complications in sickle cell disease. Br J Haematol. 2005;129:723–729.
197. , , . Anxiety and depression in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2007;9:114–121.
198. , . Opioid-induced hyperalgesia: a qualitative systematic review. Anesthesiology. 2006;104:570–587.
199. , , , , . Ketamine improves the management of exaggerated postoperative pain observed in perioperative fentanyl-treated rats. Anesthesiology. 2005;102:421–428.
200. , , . Remifentanil-induced postoperative hyperalgesia and its prevention with small-dose ketamine. Anesthesiology. 2005;103:147–155.
201. . The undertreatment of pain in children: an overview. Pediatr Clin North Am. 1989;36:781–794.
202. , , , , . Factors affecting hospital staff judgments about sickle cell disease pain. J Behav Med. 2006;29:203–214.
203. , , . Physicians’ attitude and practices in sickle cell disease pain management. J Palliat Care. 2005;21:246–251.
204. , , , . Nurses’ attitudes and practices in sickle cell pain management. Appl Nurs Res. 2001;14:187–192.
205. , , , . Sickle cell-related pain: perceptions of medical practitioners. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1997;14:168–174.
206. , , , , , . Pain relief in sickle cell crisis. Lancet. 1986;2:624–625.
207. , , . Management of sickle cell pain crisis in the emergency department at teaching hospitals. J Emerg Med. 1999;17:625–630.
208. , . Five-year retrospective study of hospitalization and treatment of patients with sickle cell anemia. South Med J. 1976;69:1314–1316.
209. . Guideline for the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain in Sickle Cell Disease. Glenview, IL: American Pain Society; 1999.