1. . Acute Pain Management: Operative Medical Procedures and Trauma. Clinical Practice Guideline No.1. AHCPR Pub. No. 92–0032. Rockville, MD: AHCPR, 1992.
2. , , , , , , , , , . Practice guidelines for acute pain management in the perioperative setting: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Acute Pain Management. Anesthesiology 2004;100:1573–1581.
3. , , , . Postoperative pain experience: results from a national survey suggest postoperative pain continues to be undermanaged. Anesth Analg 2003;97:534–540.
4. , . Acute pain management. Programs in U.S. hospitals and experiences and attitudes among U.S. adults. Anesthesiology 1995;83(5):1090–1094.
5. , . Consequences of inadequate postoperative pain relief and chronic persistent postoperative pain. Anesthesiol Clin North Am 2005;23:21–36.
6. . Common side effects of opioids. In ACP Observer: American College of Physicians, 2004.
7. , , , et al. Incidence of adverse drug events and potential adverse drug events. Implications for prevention. ADE Prevention Study Group. JAMA 1995;274:29–34.
8. , , , , . Bridging the analgesic gap. Acute Pain 2000;3:194–199.
9. , . Audit and bridging the analgesic gap. Anaesthesia 1998;53:521–522.
10. , , , . A prospective survey of patients after cessation of patient-controlled analgesia. Anesth Analg 2001; 92(1):224–227.
12. , , , , . System-related events and analgesic gaps during postoperative pain management with the fentanyl iontophoretic transdermal system and morphine intravenous patient-controlled analgesia. Anesth Analg 2007;105(5):1437–1441.
13. , , , . Adverse events involving intravenous patient-controlled analgesia. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2007; 64(14):1492–1499.
14. , , . Respiratory-related critical events with intravenous patient-controlled analgesia. Clin J Pain 1994;10:52–56.
15. , , , et al. Human error and patient-controlled analgesia pumps. J Intraven Nurs 1997;20:311–316.
16. . . In , , , eds. Patient-controlled Analgesia. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1990, pp. 139–150.
17. , , , et al. The incident reporting system does not detect adverse drug events: a problem for quality improvement. Jt Comm J Qual Improv 1995;21:541–548.
18. , , , et al. Identifying adverse drug events: development of a computer-based monitor and comparison with chart review and stimulated voluntary report. J Am Med Inform Assoc 1998;5:305–314.
19. , , , et al. Computerized surveillance of adverse drug events in hospital patients. JAMA 1991;266:2847–2851.
20. , . Designing a medical device surveillance network: FDA Report to Congress; 1999.