1. , . Opioid analgesics. In , , , eds. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002, pp. 569–619.
2. , , . Opioid analgesics. In , ed. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 9th ed. Lange Medical Books/McGraw-Hill, 2004.
3. , , . Opioid analgesics. In , , eds. Pain Clinical Manual. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 1999, pp. 161–299.
. JCAHO Standards for Pain Management [referenced from the Comprehensive Accreditation Manual for Hospitals, Update 3, 1999
(effective January 1, 2001)]. Available at: http://www.texmed.org/has/prs/pop/jps.asp
5. , . U.S. policies relevant to the prescribing of opioid analgesics for the treatment of pain in in patients with addictive disease. Clin J Pain 2002;18:S91–98.
6. . Biochemistry and modulation of nociception and pain. In , ed. The Management of Pain, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1990, pp. 94–121.
7. . Pain in men wounded in battle. Ann Surg 1946;123:96–105.
8. , , , . Identification of four novel exon 5 splice variants of the mouse mu opioid receptor gene. Mol Pharmacol Fast Forward 2005; 68:866–875.
9. , : Molecular and cellular basis of addiction. Science 1997;278:58–63.
10. , , , et al. Regulatory endocytosis of opioid receptors: cellular mechanisms and proposed role in physiological adaptation to opiate drugs. Curr Opin Neurobiol 2003;13:348–353.
11. , . Opioid-induced hyperalgesia: a qualitative systematic review. Anesthesiology 2006;104:570–587.
12. , et al. Pharmacogenetics J 2005;5:324–336. Goodman & Gilman’s Pharmacology, 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006.
13. , . Relative analgesic potencies of morphine and hydromorphone in post-operative pain. Anesthesiology 1975;42:602–607.
14. , , . Oxymorphone revisited. Semin Anesthesiol 1988;7:209–215.
15. , . Fentanyl for post-operative analgesia: a review. Anesthesiology 1999;90:576–599.
16. , , , , . Comparison of oxycodone and hydrocodone for the treatment of acute pain associated with fractures: a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. Acad Emerg Med 2005;12:282–288.
17. , , , , . Double-blind, randomized comparison of the analgesic and pharmacokinetic profiles of controlled- and immediate-release oral oxycodone in cancer pain patients. J Clin Pharmacol 2001;41:500–6.
18. (Oxymorphone extended-release capsules, Endo Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania). Full prescribing information, 2005.
19. , . Perioperative management of acute pain in the opioid-dependent patient. Anesthesiology 2004;101:212–227.
20. , , , . Methadone is safe for treating hospitalized patients. Canad J Anesthesia 2001;48:1109–1113.
21. . Treatment guidelines and unpublished observations. Yale University Pain Management Service, 2007.
22. , . Tramadol: its use in pain management. In , ed. Anesthesiology Clinics of North America, vol. 2. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1998, pp. 53–69.
23. , , , et al. Efficacy and tolerability of tapentadol immediate release and oxycodone immediate release in patients awaiting primary joint replacement. Clin Ther 2009;31:260–271.
24. , , , , , , . Conversion to oral controlled-release oxycodone from intravenous opioid analgesic in the post-operative setting. Pain Med 2003;4(1):31–38.
25. , . Long-acting opioids for chronic pain: pharmacotherapeutic opportunities to enhance compliance, quality of life, and analgesia. Am J Ther 2001;8:181–186.
26. , , , . Adverse events associated with post-operative opioid analgesia: a systematic review. J Pain 2002;3:159–180.
27. , , , et al. Methylnaltrexone for opioid-induced constipation in advanced illness. NEJM 2008;358:2332–2343.
28. , , , . Effects of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs on patient-controlled analgesia morphine side effects: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Anesthesiology 2005;102:1249–60.
29. . The NIH Guide: New Directions in Pain Research I. Washington DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1998.
30. , , , . Pulmonary administration of aerosolised fentanyl: Pharmacokinetic analysis. Br J Anaesth 1998;46:37–43.
31. , , , et al. A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study of morphine-6-glucoronide for post-operative pain relief after knee replacement surgery. Clin J Pain 2007;23:197–203.