1. Bonica’s Management of Pain, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2001.
2. . Kelley’s Textbook of Rheumatology, 8th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2008.
3. . Pathophysiology of pain: from theory to clinical evidence. Eur J Pain Supp 2008;2:13–17.
4. , . New concepts in acute pain therapy: preemptive analgesia. Am Fam Physician 2001;63:1979–1984.
5. . Pathophysiology of Pain. Heidelberg: Langenbecks Archives of Surgery, 2004, pp. 237–243.
6. . Interleukin-1ß-mediated induction of Cox-2 in the CNS contributes to inflammatory pain hypersensitivity. Nature 2001;410:471–475.
7. , , . Peripheral nerve injury triggers central sprouting of myelinated afferents. Nature 1992;355:75–78.
8. . Acute pain and the injury response: immediate and prolonged effects. Reg Anesth 1989;16:162–176.
9. . Surgical stress: the role of pain and analgesia. Br J Anaesth 1989;63:189–195.
10. . Neuroendocrine responses to surgery. In , , , eds. Perioperative Management. St Louis: Mosby-Year Book, 1990.
11. , , , et al. Major injury induces increased production of interleukin-10 by cell of the immune system with a negative effect on infection resistance. Ann Surgery 1997:226:450–460.
12. . Surgical stress in humans is accompanied by an increase in plasma beta-endorphin immunoreactivity. Life Sci 1981;29:1249–1254.
13. , , , et al. Immune function in patients undergoing open versus laproscopic surgery. Arch Surg 1994;129:1240–1246.
14. , , , et al. Increased tumor establishment after laparotomy vs laparoscopy in a murine model. Arch Surg 1995;130:649–653.
15. , , , et al. The effects of surgical trauma on colorectal liver metastasis. Surg Endoscopy 2007;21:1817–1819.
16. , , , et al. Myocardial infarction after non cardiac surgery. Anesthesiology 1998;88:572–578.
17. , , , et al. Epidural morphine decreases post-operative hypertension by attenuating sympathetic nervous system hyperactivity. JAMA 1989;261:3577–3581.
18. , , , et al. Psychological stress and silent myocardial ischemia. Am Heart J 1987;114:477–482.
19. , , , et al. Specific platelet mediators and unstable coronary artery lesions, Circulation 1989;80:198–205.
20. , . The pulmonary system. In , ed. The Physiologic Basis of Surgery. Philadelphia: Williams & Wilkins, 1993, pp. 512–514.
21. , . Pain management following thoracic and upper abdominal trauma. In , ed. International Trauma Anesthesia and Critical Care Society. Baltimore, 1999.
22. , . Activity of lower intercostal muscle function after upper abdominal surgery. Anesth Analg 1987;66:852–855.
23. . The measured effect of laparotomy on the respiration. J Clin Invest 1933;12:639–650
24. , , . Consequences of post-operative alterations in respiratory mechanics. Am J Surg 1974;128:376–382.
25. , . Persistent postsurgical pain: risk factors and prevention. Lancet 2006;367(9522):1618–1625.
26. , , , . A survey of pain and other symptoms that affect the recovery process after discharge from an ambulatory surgery unit. J Clin Anesth 2004;16:200–206.
27. , , , et al. The effect of pain on health related quality of life. Anesth Analg 2003;97:1078–1085.