1. , Prevalence of disseminated sclerosis in Northern Ireland. Ulster Med J 1954; 23:1–27.
2. , , , et al. Problems of experimental trials of therapy in multiple sclerosis: report by the panel on the evaluation of experimental trials of therapy in multiple sclerosis. Ann NY Acad Sci 1965; 122:552–68.
3. , Course of multiple sclerosis. First results of a prospective study carried out of 102 MS patients from 1976–1980. Acta Neurol Scand 1982; 65:248–66.
4. , , , et al. New diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines for research protocols. Ann Neurol 1983; 13:227–31.
5. , , , et al. Use of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Neurology 1986; 36:1575.
6. Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: an addendum. Ann Neurol 1987; 22:773.
7. . Interferon beta-1b in the treatment of multiple sclerosis: final outcome of the randomized controlled trial. Neurology 1995; 45:1277–85.
8. , , , et al. Copolymer 1 reduces relapse rate and improves disability in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: results of a phase III multicenter, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Neurology 1995; 45:1268–76.
9. , , , et al. Glatiramer acetate (Copaxone) treatment in relapsing–remitting MS: quantitative MR assessment. Neurology 2000; 54:813–17.
10. , , , et al. Intramuscular interferon beta-1a for disease progression in relapsing multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 1996; 39:285–94.
11. . Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled study of interferon beta-1a in relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis. Lancet 1998; 352:1498–504.
12. , , , et al. Mitoxantrone in progressive multiple sclerosis: a placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomised, multicentre trial. Lancet 2002; 360:2018–25.
13. , , , et al. Effect of mitoxantrone on MRI in progressive MS: results of the MIMS trial. Neurology 2005; 65:690–5.
14. , , , et al. MRI outcomes in a placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab in relapsing MS. Neurology 2007; 68:1390–401.
15. , , , et al. A placebo-controlled trial of oral fingolimod in relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med 2010; 362:387–401.
16. , , , et al. Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the International Panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 2001; 50:121–7.
17. , , , et al. Comparison of MRI criteria at first presentation to predict conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis. Brain 1997; 120:2059–69.
18. , , , et al. Isolated demyelinating syndromes: comparison of different MR imaging criteria to predict conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis. Am J Neuroradiol 2000; 21:702–6.
19. , , , et al. Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 revisions to the “McDonald Criteria”. Ann Neurol 2005; 58:840–6.
19A.A Polman CH, Reingold SC, Banwell B, et al. Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria Ann Neurol 2011 69(2):292–302.
20. , , , et al. MRI criteria for MS in patients with clinically isolated syndromes. Neurology 2010; 74:427–34.
21. , , , et al. Differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Continuum Lifelong Learning Neurol 1999; 5:58–70.
22. , The differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. In: , et al., ed. McAlpine's Multiple Sclerosis: Elsevier; 2006, 389–437.
23. . Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Continuum Lifelong Learning Neurol 2010; 16:19–36.
24. , , , et al. Limited applicability of Barkhof's MRI criteria in distinguishing multiple sclerosis from diseases mimicking multiple sclerosis. Neurology. [Meeting Abstract] 2005; 64:S26.006.
25. , , , et al. Genetic variation in white matter hyperintensity volume in the Framingham study. Stroke 2004; 35:1609–13.
26. , , , et al. MRI in the diagnosis of MS: a prospective study with comparison of clinical evaluation, evoked potentials, oligoclonal banding, and CT. Neurology 1988; 38:180–5.
27. , , , et al. Criteria for an increased specificity of MRI interpretation in elderly subjects with suspected multiple sclerosis. Neurology 1988; 38:1822–5.
28. , , , et al. The contribution of magnetic resonance imaging to the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Neurology 1999; 53:448–56.
29. , , , et al. Intramuscular Interferon beta-1a therapy initiated during a first demyelinating event in multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med 2000; 343:898–904.
30. , , , et al. Effect of early interferon treatment on conversion to definite multiple sclerosis: a randomized study. Lancet 2001; 357:1576–82.
31. , , , et al. Treatment with interferon beta-1b delays conversion to clinically definite and McDonald MS in patients with clinically isolated syndromes. Neurology 2006; 67:1242–9.
32. , , , et al. Effect of glatiramer acetate on conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis in patients with clinically isolated syndrome (PreCISe study): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 374:1503–11.
33. , , Long-term follow-up of acute partial transverse myelopathy. Neurology 1992; 42.
34. , , , et al. The significance of brain magnetic resonance imaging abnormalities at presentation with clinically isolated syndromes suggestive of multiple sclerosis. A 5-year follow-up study. Brain 1993; 116:135–46.
35. , , , et al. Disability and T2 MRI lesions: a 20-year follow-up of patients with relapse onset of multiple sclerosis. Brain 2008; 131:808–17.
36. , , , et al. A longitudinal study of abnormalities on MRI and disability from multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med 2002; 346:158–64.
37. , , The prognostic value of brain MRI in clinically isolated syndromes of the CNS: a 10-year follow-up. Brain 1998; 121:495–503.
38. , , , et al. Multisequence MRI in clinically isolated syndromes and the early development of MS. Neurology 1999; 53:1184–90.
39. , , , et al. Assessing the risk of early multiple sclerosis in patients with clinically isolated syndromes: the role of a follow-up MRI. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2001; 70:390–3.
40. . MRI predictors of early conversion to clinically definite MS in the CHAMPS placebo group. Neurology 2002; 59:998–1005.
41. , , , et al. Application of the new McDonald criteria to patients with clinically isolated syndromes suggestive of multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 2002; 52:47–53.
42. , , , et al. New diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: application in first demyelinating episode. Neurology 2003; 60:27–30.
43. , , , et al. The utility of MRI in suspected MS: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology 2003; 61:602–11.
44. , , , et al. Modification of MRI criteria for multiple sclerosis in patients with clinically isolated syndromes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006; 77:830–3.
45. , , , et al. MRI criteria for multiple sclerosis in patients presenting with clinically isolated syndromes: a multicentre retrospective study. Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:677–86.
47. , , , et al. Association between clinical conversion to multiple sclerosis in radiologically isolated syndrome and magnetic resonance imaging, cerebrospinal fluid, and visual evoked potential: follow-up of 70 patients. Arch Neurol 2009; 66:841–6.
48. , , , et al. Multiple sclerosis: a serial study using MRI in relapsing patients. Neurology 1988; 38:1511–5.
49. , , , et al. Serial magnetic resonance scanning in multiple sclerosis: a second prospective study in relapsing patients. Ann Neurol 1989; 25:43–9.
50. , , , et al. Clinical implications of benign multiple sclerosis: a 20-year population-based follow-up study. Ann Neurol 2004; 56:303–6.
51. , , , et al. Randomized, comparative study of interferon b-1a treatment regimens in MS. The EVIDENCE trial. Neurology 2002; 59:1496–506.
52. , , , et al. Glatiramer acetate (Copaxone) treatment in relapsing-remitting MS. quantitative MR assessment. Neurology 2000; 54:813–17.
53. , , , et al. Defining interferon beta response status in multiple sclerosis patients. Ann Neurol 2004; 56:548–55.
54. , , , et al. Predictive value of gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging for relapse rate and changes in disability or impairment in multiple sclerosis: a meta-analysis. Lancet 1999; 353:964–9.
55. , , , et al. Relationship between MRI lesion activity and response to IFN-beta in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients. Mult Scler 2008; 14:479–84.
56. , , , et al. Predictors of long-term clinical response to interferon beta therapy in relapsing multiple sclerosis. J Neurol 2006; 253:287–93.
57. , , , et al. One-year MRI scan predicts clinical response to interferon beta in multiple sclerosis. Eur J Neurol 2009; 16:1202–9.
58. , , , et al. MRI activity and neutralising antibody as predictors of response to interferon beta treatment in multiple sclerosis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2008; 79:646–51.
59. , , , et al. Eight-year follow-up study of brain atrophy in patients with MS. Neurology 2002; 59:1412–20.
60. , , , et al. Treatment optimization in multiple sclerosis. Can J Neurol Sci 2004; 31:157–68.
61. Effect of drugs in secondary disease progression in patients with multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2004; 10 Suppl 1:S46–54; discussion S-5.
62. , , , et al. The relation between inflammation and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis brains. Brain 2009; 132:1175–89.
63. , , , et al. Demyelination versus remyelination in progressive multiple sclerosis. Brain 2010; 133:2983–98.
64. , , , et al. Gadolinium-based MR contrast agents and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. Radiology 2007; 242:647–9.
66. , , , et al. Intracortical lesions: relevance for new MRI diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis. Neurology 2010; 75:1988–94.