1. The neuropathic pain market. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2012;11:101–2.
2. , Pathological and protective roles of glia in chronic pain. Nat Rev Neurosci 2009;10:23–36.
3. , , , , Patterns of pain: meta-analysis of microarray studies of pain. Pain 2011;152:1888–98.
4. , , , et al. Harnessing pain heterogeneity and RNA transcriptome to identify blood-based pain biomarkers: a novel correlational study design and bioinformatics approach in a graded chronic constriction injury model. J Neurochem 2012;122:976–94.
5. , , Subtype-selective GABAA receptor mimetics–novel antihyperalgesic agents?J Mol Med (Berl) 2009;87:465–9.
6. , , , et al. Reversal of pathological pain through specific spinal GABAA receptor subtypes. Nature 2008;451:330–4.
7. , , , et al. Benzodiazepine actions mediated by specific gamma-aminobutyric acid(A) receptor subtypes. Nature 1999;401:796–800.
8. , , , et al. Molecular and neuronal substrate for the selective attenuation of anxiety. Science 2000;290:131–4.
9. , , GABAergic analgesia: new insights from mutant mice and subtype-selective agonists. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2009;30:397–402.
10. , , , Are voltage-gated sodium channels on the dorsal root ganglion involved in the development of neuropathic pain?Mol Pain 2011;7:16.
11. , , , et al. Changes in the expression of NaV1.7, NaV1.8 and NaV1.9 in a distinct population of dorsal root ganglia innervating the rat knee joint in a model of chronic inflammatory joint pain. Eur J Pain 2008;12:564–72.
12. , , , et al. The tetrodotoxin-resistant sodium channel SNS has a specialized function in pain pathways. Nat Neurosci 1999;2:541–8.
13. Targeting chronic and neuropathic pain: the N-type calcium channel comes of age. NeuroRx 2005;2:662–70.
14. , , , , Identifying biological markers of activity in human nociceptive pathways to facilitate analgesic drug development. Pain 2008;140:249–53.
15. . Biomarkers and surrogate endpoints: preferred definitions and conceptual framework. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2001;69(3):89–95.
16. Biomarkers: principles, policies, and practice. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2009;86:3–7.
17. Genetic predictors of acute and chronic pain. Curr Rheumatol Rep 2006;8:411–17.
18. , , , MCP-1 and IL-8 as pain biomarkers in fibromyalgia: a pilot study. Pain Med 2011;12:1154–61.
19. , , , et al. Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and macrophage inflammatory protein-1alpha as possible biomarkers for the chronic pelvic pain syndrome. J Urol 2008;179:1857–61; discussion 61–2.
20. , , , , Non-pharmacological interventions for chronic pain in people with spinal cord injury. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011;7:CD009177.
21. , Nonpharmacological approaches to the management of chronic pain in community-dwelling older adults: a review of empirical evidence. J Am Geriatr Soc 2012;60:555–68.
22. , , , , Non-invasive brain stimulation techniques for chronic pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;9:CD008208.
23. , , . Spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004;3.
24. , , Mirror box therapy: seeing is believing. Explore (NY) 2011;7:369–72.
25. Mechanisms of placebo and placebo-related effects across diseases and treatments. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 2008;48:33–60.
26. , , , et al. Components of placebo effect: randomised controlled trial in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Br Med J 2008;336:999–1003.
27. , , . Accounting for perception, placebo and unmasking effects in estimating treatment effects in randomised clinical trials. Stat Methods Med Res. 2011 Sep 8. [Epub ahead of print]
28. , , , et al. The effect of treatment expectation on drug efficacy: imaging the analgesic benefit of the opioid remifentanil. Sci Transl Med 2011;3:70ra14.
29. , , , Biological, clinical, and ethical advances of placebo effects. Lancet 2010;375:686–95.