- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Online publication date: March 2008
- Print publication year: 1957
- Online ISBN: 9781139055765
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CHOL9780521045414
In a preface written for the paperback edition, Professor Hay examines some of the changes in Renaissance scholarship since the first publication of this volume in 1957. Successive chapters examine the social and economic structure of a continent about to establish trade and colonies in the New World, the intellectual and artistic movements which made up the Renaissance, the position of the Church on the eve of the Reformation, the political inheritance of the Middle Ages, with its rising nation states, and the growth of the Ottoman Empire.
Source: Notes and Queries