This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. KL Jones , DW Smith , JW Hansen . The fetal alcohol syndrome: clinical delineation. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1976;273:130–139.
3. EP Riley , M Alejandra Infante , K Warren . Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: an overview. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:73–80.
4. PM Rodier . Vulnerable periods and processes during central nervous system development. Environ Health Perspective 1994;102(Suppl. 2):121–124.
6. S O’Leary-Moore , S Parnell , R Lipinski . Magnetic resonance-based imaging in animal models of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:167–185.
7. C Lebel , F Roussotte , ER Sowell . Imaging the impact of prenatal alcohol exposure on the structure of the developing human brain. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:102–118.
8. K Pannek , A Guzzetta , P Colditz , S Rose . Diffusion MRI of the neonate brain: acquisition, processing and analysis techniques. Pediatr Radiol 2012;42:1169–1182.
9. C Beaulieu . The basis of anisotropic water diffusion in the nervous system – a technical review. NMR Biomed 2002;15:435–455.
10. AL Alexander , JE Lee , M Lazar , AS Field . Diffusion tensor imaging of the brain. Neurotherapeutics 2007;4:316–329.
11. Y Assaf , O Pasternak . Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI)-based white matter mapping in brain research: a review. J Mol Neurosci 2008;34:51–61.
12. SK Song , SW Sun , MJ Ramsbottom , C Chang , J Russell , AH Cross . Dysmyelination revealed through MRI as increased radial (but unchanged axial) diffusion of water. Neuroimage 2002;17:1429–1436.
13. Y Kinoshita , A Ohnishi , K Kohshi , A Yokota . Apparent diffusion coefficient on rat brain and nerves intoxicated with methylmercury. Environ Res 1999;80:348–354.
14. LA Harsan , P Poulet , B Guignard et al. Brain dysmyelination and recovery assessment by noninvasive in vivo diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging. J Neurosci Res 2006;83:392–402.
15. T Paus , M Pesaresi , L French . White matter as a transport system. Neuroscience 2014;276:117–125.
16. J Dubois , G Dehaene-Lambertz , S Kulikova , C Poupon , PS Hüppi , L Hertz-Pannier . The early development of brain white matter: a review of imaging studies in fetuses, newborns and infants. Neuroscience 2014;276:48–71.
17. JR Wozniak , RL Muetzel . What does diffusion tensor imaging reveal about the brain and cognition in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:133–147.
18. JR Wozniak , BA Mueller , PN Chang , RL Muetzel , L Caros , KO Lim . Diffusion tensor imaging in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2006;30:1799–1806.
19. JR Wozniak , RL Muetzel , BA Mueller et al. Microstructural corpus callosum anomalies in children with prenatal alcohol exposure: an extension of previous diffusion tensor imaging findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:1825–1835.
20. X Ma , CD Coles , ME Lynch et al. Evaluation of corpus callosum anisotropy in young adults with fetal alcohol syndrome according to diffusion tensor imaging. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2005;29:1214–1222.
21. L Li , CD Coles , ME Lynch , X Hu . Voxelwise and skeleton-based region of interest analysis of fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in young adults. Hum Brain Mapp 2009;30:3265–3274.
22. S Treit , C Lebel , L Baugh , C Rasmussen , G Andrew , C Beaulieu . Longitudinal MRI reveals altered trajectory of brain development during childhood and adolescence in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Neurosci 2013;33:10098–10109.
23. SL Fryer , BC Schweinsburg , OA Bjorkquist , LR Frank , SN Mattson , AD Spadoni , EP Riley . Characterisation of white matter microstructure in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:514–521.
24. C Lebel , C Rasmussen , K Wyper , L Walker , G Andrew , J Yager . Brain diffusion abnormalities in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2008;32:1732–1740.
25. ER Sowell , A Johnson , E Kan et al. Mapping white matter integrity and neurobehavioral correlates in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Neurosci 2008;28:1313–1319.
26. C Lebel , SN Mattson , EP Riley et al. A longitudinal study of the long-term consequences of drinking during pregnancy: heavy in utero alcohol exposure disrupts the normal processes of brain development. J Neurosci 2012;32:15243–15251.
27. C Lebel , C Rasmussen , K Wyper , G Andrew , C Beaulieu . Brain microstructure is related to math ability in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2010;34:354–363.
28. J Fan , EM Meintjes , CD Molteno et al. White matter integrity of the cerebellar peduncles as a mediator of effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on eyeblink conditioning. Hum Brain Mapp 2015; doi:10.1002/hbm.22785 [Epub ahead of print].
29. CR Green , C Lebel , C Rasmussen , C Beaulieu , JN Reynolds . Diffusion tensor imaging correlates of saccadic reaction time in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2013;37:1499–1507.
30. PA Taylor , SW Jacobson , A van der Kouwe et al. A DTI-based tractography study of effects on brain structure associated with prenatal alcohol exposure in newborns. Hum Brain Mapp 2015;36:170–186.
31. PA May , JP Gossage , K Kalberg , L Robinson , D Buckley , M Manning . Prevalence and epidemiologic characteristics of FASD from various research methods with an emphasis on recent in-school studies. Dev Disabil Res Rev 2009;15:176–192.
32. PA May , J Blankenship , A Marais et al. Approaching the prevalence of the full spectrum of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in a south african population-based study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2013;37:818–830.
34. DJ Stein , N Koen , KA Donald et al. Investigating the psychosocial determinants of child health in Africa: The Drakenstein Child Health Study. J Neurosci Methods 2015; pii: S0165-0270(15)00099-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2015.03.016 [Epub ahead of print].
35. R Humeniuk , R Ali , TF Babor et al. Validation of the alcohol, smoking and substance involvement screening test (ASSIST). Addiction 2008;103:1039–1047.
36. PB Jackson , DR Williams , DJ Stein , A Herman , SL Williams , DL Redmond . Race and psychological distress: The South African Stress and Health Study. J Health Soc Behav 2010;51:458–477.
37. J Lozarno , O Garcia-Algar , O Vall , R de la Torre , G Scaravelli , S Pichini . Biological matrices for the evaluation of in utero exposure to drugs of abuse. Ther Drug Monit 2007;29:711–734.
38. Y Noble , R Boyd . Neonatal assessments for the preterm infant up to 4 months corrected age: a systematic review. Dev Med Child Neurol 2012;54:129–139.
39. L Dubowitz , E Mercurio , V Dubowitz . An optimality score for the neurological examination of the term newborn. J Pediatr 1998;133:406–416.
40. SM Smith , M Jenkinson , H Johansen-Berg et al. Tract-based spatial statistics: voxel-wise analysis of multi-subject diffusion data. Neuroimage 2006;31:1487–1505.
41. J Dubois , L Hertz-Pannier , G Dehaene-Lambertz , Y Cointepas , D Le Bihan . Assessment of the early organization and maturation of infants' cerebral white matter fiber bundles: a feasibility study using quantitative diffusion tensor imaging and tractography. Neuroimage 2006;30:1121–1132.
44. S Mattson , N Crocker , T Nguyen . Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: neuropsychological and behavioral features. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:81–101.
45. SN Mattson , SC Roesch , Å Fagerlund et al. Toward a neurobehavioral profile of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2010;34:1640–1650.
46. SN Mattson , EP Riley , TL Jernigan et al. A decrease in the size of the basal ganglia following prenatal alcohol exposure: a preliminary report. Neurotoxicol Teratol 1994;16:283–289.
47. ED O'Hare , E Kan , J Yoshii et al. Mapping cerebellar vermal morphology and cognitive correlates in prenatal alcohol exposure. Neuroreport 2005;16:1285–1290.