This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. K Jones , D Smith . Recognition of the fetal alcohol syndrome in early infancy. Lancet 1973;302:999–1001.
5. S Popova , B Stade , D Bekmuradov , S Lange , J Rehm . What do we know about the economic impact of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder? A systematic literature review. Alcohol Alcohol 2011;46:490–497.
8. PA May , D Fiorentino , JP Gossage et al. Epidemiology of FASD in a province in Italy: prevalence and characteristics of children in a random sample of schools. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2006:1562–1575.
9. PA May , JP Gossage , WO Kalberg et al. The prevalence and epidemiologic characteristics of FASD from various research methods with an emphasis on in-school studies. Dev Disabil Res Revs 2009:176–192.
10. DL Viljoen , JP Gossage , L Brooke et al. Fetal alcohol syndrome epidemiology in a South African community: a second study of a very high prevalence area. J Stud Alcohol 2005;66:593.
11. PA May , JP Gossage , AS Marais et al. The epidemiology of fetal alcohol syndrome and partial FAS in a South African community. Drug Alcohol Depen 2007;88:259–271.
12. PA May , D Fiorentino , G Coriale et al. Prevalence of children with severe fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in communities near Rome, Italy: new estimated rates are higher than previous estimates. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2011;8:2331–2351.
14. PA May , A Baete , J Russo et al. Prevalence and characteristics of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Pediatrics 2014;134:855–866.
15. S O’Leary-Moore , S Parnell , R Lipinski . Magnetic resonance-based imaging in animal models of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:167–185.
16. SN Mattson , EP Riley , TL Jernigan et al. A decrease in the size of the basal ganglia following prenatal alcohol exposure: a preliminary report. Neurotoxicol Teratol 1994;16:283–289.
20. SE Parnell , SK O’Leary-Moore , EA Godin et al. Magnetic resonance microscopy defines ethanol-induced brain abnormalities in prenatal mice: effects of acute insult on gestational day 8. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:1001–1011.
22. LA Leigland , MD Budde , A Cornea , CD Kroenke . Diffusion MRI of the developing cerebral cortical gray matter can be used to detect abnormalities in tissue microstructure associated with fetal ethanol exposure. NeuroImage 2013;83:1081–1087.
23. SK O’Leary-Moore , AP McMechan , MP Galloway , JH Hannigan . Neonatal alcohol-induced region-dependent changes in rat brain neurochemistry measured by high-resolution magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2008;32:1697–1707.
25. CL Coulter , RW Leech , G Schaefer , BW Scheithauer , RA Brumback . MIdline cerebral dysgenesis, dysfunction of the hypothalamic-pituitary axis, and fetal alcohol effects. Arch Neurol 1993;50:771–775.
26. SL Archibald , C Fennema-Notestine , A Gamst , EP Riley , SN Mattson , TL Jernigan . Brain dysmorphology in individuals with severe prenatal alcohol exposure. Dev Med Child Neurol 2001;43:148–154.
27. SJ Astley , EH Aylward , HC Olson et al. Magnetic resonance imaging outcomes from a comprehensive magnetic resonance study of children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:1671–1689.
28. I Autti-Rämö , T Autti , M Korkman , S Kettunen , O Salonen , L Valanne . MRI findings in children with school problems who had been exposed prenatally to alcohol. Dev Med Child Neurol 2002;44:98–106.
31. FL Bookstein , PD Sampson , PD Connor , AP Streissguth . Midline corpus callosum is a neuroanatomical focus of fetal alcohol damage. Anat Rec 2002;269:162–174.
32. X Chen , CD Coles , ME Lynch , X Hu . Understanding specific effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on brain structure in young adults. Hum Brain Mapp 2012;33:1663–1676.
33. BM Cortese , GJ Moore , BA Bailey , SW Jacobson , V Delaney-Black , JH Hannigan . Magnetic resonance and spectroscopic imaging in prenatal alcohol-exposed children: preliminary findings in the caudate nucleus. Neurotoxicol Teratol 2006;28:597–606.
34. VP Johnson , VW Swayze , Y Sato , NC Andreasen . Fetal alcohol syndrome: craniofacial and central nervous system manifestations. Am J Med Genet 1996;61:329–339.
35. J Joseph , C Warton , SW Jacobson et al. Three‐dimensional surface deformation‐based shape analysis of hippocampus and caudate nucleus in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Hum Brain Mapp 2014;35:659–672.
36. C Lebel , C Rasmussen , K Wyper , L Walker , G Andrew , J Yager . Brain diffusion abnormalities in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2008;32:1732–1740.
37. C Lebel , SN Mattson , EP Riley et al. A longitudinal study of the long-term consequences of drinking during pregnancy: heavy in utero alcohol exposure disrupts the normal processes of brain development. J Neurosci 2012;32:15243–15251.
38. Z Li , CD Coles , ME Lynch , X Ma , S Peltier , X Hu . Occipital-temporal reduction and sustained visual attention deficit in prenatal alcohol exposed adults. Brain Imaging Behav 2008;2:39–48.
39. SN Mattson , EP Riley , TL Jernigan et al. Fetal alcohol syndrome: a case report of neuropsychological, MRI, and EEG assessment of two children. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1992;16:1001–1003.
40. SN Mattson , EP Riley , ER Sowell , TL Jernigan , DF Sobel , KL Jones . A decrease in the size of the basal ganglia in children with fetal alcohol syndrome. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1996;20:1088–1093.
41. EM Meintjes , KL Narr , AJ van der Kouwe et al. A tensor-based morphometry analysis of regional differences in brain volume in relation to prenatal alcohol exposure. NeuroImage Clin 2014;5:152–160.
43. ED O’Hare , E Kan , J Yoshii et al. Mapping cerebellar vermal morphology and cognitive correlates in prenatal alcohol exposure. Neuroreport 2005;16:1285–1290.
44. M Rajaprakash , MM Chakravarty , JP Lerch , J Rovet . Cortical morphology in children with alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder. Brain Imaging Behav 2014;4:41–50.
45. R Riikonen , I Salonen , K Partanen , S Verho . Brain perfusion SPECT and MRI in foetal alcohol syndrome. Dev Med Child Neurol 1999;41:652–659.
48. FF Roussotte , KK Sulik , SN Mattson et al. Regional brain volume reductions relate to facial dysmorphology and neurocognitive function in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Hum Brain Mapp 2012;33:920–937.
50. ER Sowell , PM Thompson , SN Mattson et al. Voxel-based morphometric analyses of the brain in children and adolescents prenatally exposed to alcohol. Neuroreport 2001;12:515–523.
51. ER Sowell , PM Thompson , BS Peterson et al. Mapping cortical gray matter asymmetry patterns in adolescents with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. NeuroImage 2002;17:1807–1819.
52. ER Sowell , SN Mattson , E Kan , PM Thompson , EP Riley , AW Toga . Abnormal cortical thickness and brain–behavior correlation patterns in individuals with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Cereb Cortex 2008;18:136–144.
53. VW Swayze , VP Johnson , JW Hanson et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of brain anomalies in fetal alcohol syndrome. Pediatrics 1997;99:232–240.
54. S Treit , C Lebel , L Baugh , C Rasmussen , G Andrew , C Beaulieu . Longitudinal MRI reveals altered trajectory of brain development during childhood and adolescence in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Neurosci 2013;33:10098–10109.
56. Y Yang , OR Phillips , E Kan et al. Callosal thickness reductions relate to facial dysmorphology in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2012;36:798–806.
57. Y Yang , F Roussotte , E Kan et al. Abnormal cortical thickness alterations in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and their relationships with facial dysmorphology. Cereb Cortex 2012;22:1170–1179.
58. D Zhou , C Lebel , C Lepage et al. Developmental cortical thinning in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. NeuroImage 2011;58:16–25.
61. L Hermoye , C Saint-Martin , G Cosnard et al. Pediatric diffusion tensor imaging: normal database and observation of the white matter maturation in early childhood. NeuroImage 2006;29:493–504.
62. K Pannek , A Guzzetta , P Colditz , S Rose . Diffusion MRI of the neonate brain: acquisition, processing and analysis techniques. Pediatr Radiol 2012;42:1169–1182.
63. C Beaulieu . The basis of anisotropic water diffusion in the nervous system – a technical review. NMR Biomed 2002;15:435–436–455.
64. J Dubois , G Dehaene-Lambertz , S Kulikova , C Poupon , PS Hüppi , L Hertz-Pannier . The early development of brain white matter: a review of imaging studies in fetuses, newborns and infants. Neuroscience 2014;276:48–71.
65. X Geng , S Gouttard , A Sharma et al. Quantitative tract-based white matter development from birth to age 2 years. NeuroImage 2012;61:542–557.
66. T Paus , M Pesaresi , L French . White matter as a transport system. Neuroscience 2014;276:117–125.
67. S Fryer , BC Schweinsburg , OA Bjorkquist , LK Frank , SM Mattson , AD Spadoni . Characterisation of white matter microstructure in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:514–521.
68. L Li , CD Coles , ME Lynch , X Hu . Voxelwise and skeleton-based region of interest analysis of fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in young adults. Hum Brain Mapp 2009;30:3265–3274.
69. X Ma , CD Coles , ME Lynch et al. Evaluation of corpus callosum anisotropy in young adults with fetal alcohol syndrome according to diffusion tensor imaging. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2005;29:1214–1222.
70. BS Spottiswoode , EM Meintjes , AW Anderson et al. Diffusion tensor imaging of the cerebellum and eyeblink conditioning in fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2011;35:2174–2183.
71. JR Wozniak , RL Muetzel , BA Mueller et al. Microstructural corpus callosum anomalies in children with prenatal alcohol exposure: an extension of previous diffusion tensor imaging findings. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:1825–1835.
73. FF Roussotte , L Soderberg , ER Sowell . Structural, metabolic and functional brain abnormalities as a result of prenatal exposure to drugs of abuse: evidence from neuroimaging. Neuropsychol Rev 2010;20:376–397.
74. S Blüml , JL Wisnowski , MD Nelson et al. Metabolic maturation of the human brain from birth through adolescence: insights from in vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Cereb Cortex 2012;23:2944–2955.
77. Å Fagerlund , S Heikkinen , I Autti-Rämö et al. Brain metabolic alterations in adolescents and young adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2006;30:2097–2104.
78. L du Plessis , JL Jacobson , SW Jacobson et al. An in vivo 1H magnetic resonance spectroscopy study of the deep cerebellar nuclei in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2014;38:1330–1338.
79. MW Burke , RM Palmour , FR Ervin , M Ptito . Neuronal reduction in frontal cortex of primates after prenatal alcohol exposure. Neuroreport 2009;20:13–17.
80. L An , T Zhang . Spatial cognition and sexually dimorphic synaptic plasticity balance impairment in rats with chronic prenatal ethanol exposure. Behav Brain Res 2013;256:564–574.
81. ER Sowell , A Johnson , E Kan et al. Mapping white matter integrity and neurobehavioral correlates in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. J Neurosci 2008;28:1313–1319.
82. C Lebel , F Roussotte , ER Sowell . Imaging the impact of prenatal alcohol exposure on the structure of the developing human brain. Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:102–118.
84. C Lebel , C Rasmussen , K Wyper , G Andrew , C Beaulieu . Brain microstructure is related to math ability in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2010;34:354–363.
19. LA Leigland , MM Ford , JP Lerch , CD Kroenke . The influence of fetal ethanol exposure on subsequent development of the cerebral cortex as revealed by magnetic resonance imaging. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2013;37:924–932.
86. B Biswal , F Zerrin Yetkin , VM Haughton , JS Hyde . Functional connectivity in the motor cortex of resting human brain using echo-planar mri. Magn Reson Med 1995;34:537–541.
88. AL Norman , JW O’Brien , AD Spadoni et al. A functional magnetic resonance imaging study of spatial working memory in children with prenatal alcohol exposure: contribution of familial history of alcohol use disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2013;37:132–140.
89. AD Spadoni , AD Bazinet , SL Fryer , SF Tapert , SN Mattson , EP Riley . BOLD response during spatial working memory in youth with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009;33:2067–2076.
90. KL Malisza , AA Allman , D Shiloff , L Jakobson , S Longstaffe , AE Chudley . Evaluation of spatial working memory function in children and adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Pediatr Res 2005;58:1150–1157.
91. FF Roussotte , JE Bramen , SC Nunez et al. Abnormal brain activation during working memory in children with prenatal exposure to drugs of abuse: the effects of methamphetamine, alcohol, and polydrug exposure. NeuroImage 2011;54:3067–3075.
92. FF Roussotte , JD Rudie , L Smith et al. Frontostriatal connectivity in children during working memory and the effects of prenatal methamphetamine, alcohol and polydrug exposure. Dev Neurosci 2012;34:43–57.
93. VA Diwadkar , EM Meintjes , D Goradia et al. Differences in cortico-striatal-cerebellar activation during working memory in syndromal and nonsyndromal children with prenatal alcohol exposure. Hum Brain Mapp 2013;34:1931–1945.
95. ED O’Hare , LH Lu , SM Houston et al. Altered frontal-parietal functioning during verbal working memory in children and adolescents with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Hum Brain Mapp 2009;30:3200–3208.
96. JW O’Brien , AL Norman , SL Fryer et al. Effect of predictive cuing on response inhibition in children with heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2013;37:644–654.
100. P Santhanam , CD Coles , Z Li , L Li , ME Lynch , X Hu . Default mode network dysfunction in adults with prenatal alcohol exposure. Psychiatry Res 2011;194:354–362.
102. JR Wozniak , BA Mueller , RL Muetzel et al. Inter-hemispheric functional connectivity disruption in children with prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2011;35:849–861.
103. ER Sowell , SN Mattson , PM Thompson , TL Jernigan , EP Riley , AW Toga . Mapping callosal morphology and cognitive correlates: effects of heavy prenatal alcohol exposure. Neurology 2001;57:235–244.
105. JH Gilmore , F Shi , SL Woolson et al. Longitudinal development of cortical and subcortical gray matter from birth to 2 years. Cereb Cortex 2012;22:2478–2485.
107. AL Norman , N Crocker , SN Mattson , EP Riley . Neuroimaging and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Dev Disabil Res Revs 2009;15:209–217.
83. JR Wozniak , RL Muetzel . What does diffusion tensor imaging reveal about the brain and cognition in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders? Neuropsychol Rev 2011;21:133–147.
109. R GonÃ§alves , C de , MM Vasconcelos et al. Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2009;67:254–261.
110. R Karadottir , D Attwell . Combining patch-clamping of cells in brain slices with immunocytochemical labeling to define cell type and developmental stage. Nat Protoc 2006;1:1977–1986.
111. PM Rodier . Vulnerable periods and processes during central nervous system development. Environ Health Perspect 1994;102(Suppl. 2):121–124.
113. V Doria , CF Beckmann , T Arichi et al. Emergence of resting state networks in the preterm human brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2010;107:20015–20020.