1. Sullivan, PF, Neale, MC, Kendler, KS. Genetic epidemiology of major depression: review and meta-analysis. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:1552–1562.
2. Pedersen, CB, Mors, O, Bertelsen, A et al. A comprehensive nationwide study of the incidence rate and lifetime risk for treated mental disorders. JAMA Psychiatry 2014;71:573–581.
3. Bilello, JA. Seeking an objective diagnosis of depression. Biomark Med 2016;10:861–875.
4. Molendijk, ML, Spinhoven, P, Polak, M et al. Serum BDNF concentrations as peripheral manifestations of depression: evidence from a systematic review and meta-analyses on 179 associations (N=9484). Mol Psychiatry 2014;19:791–800.
5. Teng, HK, Teng, KK, Lee, R et al. ProBDNF induces neuronal apoptosis via activation of a receptor complex of p75NTR and sortilin. J Neurosci 2005;25:5455–5463.
6. Vaegter, CB, Jansen, P, Fjorback, AW et al. Sortilin associates with Trk receptors to enhance anterograde transport and neurotrophin signaling. Nat Neurosci 2011;14:54–61.
7. Glerup, S, Nykjaer, A, Vaegter, CB. Sortilins in neurotrophic factor signaling. Handb Exp Pharmacol 2014;220:165–189.
8. Alemany, S, Ribases, M, Vilor-Tejedor, N et al. New suggestive genetic loci and biological pathways for attention function in adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 2015;168:459–470.
9. Baum, AE, Akula, N, Cabanero, M et al. A genome-wide association study implicates diacylglycerol kinase eta (DGKH) and several other genes in the etiology of bipolar disorder. Mol Psychiatry 2008;13:197–207.
10. Hyde, CL, Nagle, MW, Tian, C et al. Identification of 15 genetic loci associated with risk of major depression in individuals of European descent. Nat Genet 2016;48:1031–1036.
11. Lambert, JC, Ibrahim-Verbaas, CA, Harold, D et al. Meta-analysis of 74,046 individuals identifies 11 new susceptibility loci for Alzheimer’s disease. Nat Genet 2013;45:1452–1458.
12. Buttenschon, HN, Demontis, D, Kaas, M et al. Increased serum levels of sortilin are associated with depression and correlated with BDNF and VEGF. Transl Psychiatry 2015;5:e677.
13. Zhou, L, Xiong, J, Lim, Y et al. Upregulation of blood proBDNF and its receptors in major depression. J Affect Disord 2013;150:776–784.
14. Stelzhammer, V, Guest, PC, Rothermundt, M et al. Electroconvulsive therapy exerts mainly acute molecular changes in serum of major depressive disorder patients. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2013;23:1199–1207.
15. Belzeaux, R, Formisano-Treziny, C, Loundou, A et al. Clinical variations modulate patterns of gene expression and define blood biomarkers in major depression. J Psychiatr Res 2010;44:1205–1213.
16. Uher, R, Maier, W, Hauser, J et al. Differential efficacy of escitalopram and nortriptyline on dimensional measures of depression. Br J Psychiatry 2009;194:252–259.
17. Montgomery, SA, Asberg, M. A new depression scale designed to be sensitive to change. Br J Psychiatry 1979;134:382–389.
18. World Health Organization. Diagnosis and clinical measurement in psychiatry. A reference manual for SCAN. 1998.
19. Devader, C, Roulot, M, Moreno, S et al. Serum sortilin-derived propeptides concentrations are decreased in major depressive disorder patients. J Affect Disord 2017;208:443–447.