It would be an exaggeration to say that until recently the sculpture of Celtic and Roman Gaul has remained unknown. Espérandieu’s catalogue (Espérandieu, 1907) and the collections at St-Germain (Benoit, 1969) provided numerous illustrations, often of exceptional quality. Nevertheless, the recent finds of votive deposits at the Source of the Seine in Burgundy and Chamalihres in Auvergne (Martin, 1963; 1964; Deyts, 1966; Vatin, 1969a; 1969b) have extended our knowledge to an unexpected degree, and in a field with which we were previously almost entirely unfamiliar, that of sculpture in wood (EspCrandieu, no. 2970 ff. (Montbouy), 3412 (Essarois), 5347 (Luxeuil); Mansuelli, 1967, fig. 115; Louis, 1950; 1954). The Chamalihres deposit alone yielded more than five thousand wooden ex-votos: the figure speaks for itself.