This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. MF Holick (2007) Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 357, 266–281.
4. C Lamberg-Allardt , M Brustad , HE Meyer , et al. (2013) Vitamin D – a systematic literature review for the 5th edition of the Nordic Nutrition Recommendations. Food Nutr Res 57, 10.3402/fnr.v57i0.22671.
6. P Arundel , SFA Samson , J Allgrove , et al. (2012) British Paediatric and Adolescent Bone Group’s position statement on vitamin D deficiency. BMJ 345, e8182.
7. MF Holick , NC Binkley , HA Bischoff-Ferrari , et al. (2011) Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96, 1911–1930.
9. MJW Janssen , JPM Wielders , CC Bekker , et al. (2012) Multicenter comparison study of current methods to measure 25-hydroxyvitamin D in serum. Steroids 77, 1366–1372.
15. M Pekkinen , H Viljakainen , E Saarnio , et al. (2012) Vitamin D is a major determinant of bone mineral density at school age. PLOS ONE 7, e40090.
17. J Kumar , P Muntner , FJ Kaskel , et al. (2009) Prevalence and associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D deficiency in US children: NHANES 2001-2004. Pediatrics 124, e362–e370.
18. Y Dong , N Pollock , IS Stallmann-Jorgensen , et al. (2010) Low 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in adolescents: race, season, adiposity, physical activity, and fitness. Pediatrics 125, 1104–1111.
21. HT Viljakainen , A- Natri , M Kärkkäinen , et al. (2006) A positive dose-response effect of vitamin D supplementation on site-specific bone mineral augmentation in adolescent girls: A double-blinded randomized placebo-controlled 1-year intervention. J Bone Miner Res 21, 836–844.
22. SJ Whiting , KA Langlois , H Vatanparast , et al. (2011) The vitamin D status of Canadians relative to the 2011 Dietary Reference Intakes: an examination in children and adults with and without supplement use. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 128–135.
26. EA Haapala , A- Poikkeus , T Tompuri , et al. (2014) Associations of motor and cardiovascular performance with academic skills in children. Med Sci Sports Exerc 46, 1016–1024.
27. A Viitasalo , DE Laaksonen , V Lindi , et al. (2012) Clustering of metabolic risk factors is associated with high-normal levels of liver enzymes among 6- to 8-year-old children: the PANIC study. Metab Syndr Relat Disord 10, 337–343.
28. A Saari , U Sankilampi , M- Hannila , et al. (2011) New Finnish growth references for children and adolescents aged 0 to 20 years: length/height-for-age, weight-for-length/height, and body mass index-for-age. Ann Med 43, 235–248.
29. T Fitzpatrick (1988) The validity and practicality of sun-reactive skin types I through VI. Arch Dermatol 124, 869–871.
30. WA Marshall & JM Tanner (1969) Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls. Arch Dis Child 44, 291–303.
35. T Voortman , EH van den Hooven , AC Heijboer , et al. (2015) Vitamin d deficiency in school-age children is associated with sociodemographic and lifestyle factors. J Nutr 145, 791–798.
36. CM Gordon , HA Feldman , L Sinclair , et al. (2008) Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among healthy infants and toddlers. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162, 505–512.
39. T Piirainen , K Laitinen & E Isolauri (2007) Impact of national fortification of fluid milks and margarines with vitamin D on dietary intake and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration in 4-year-old children. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 123–128.
40. JL Maguire , CS Birken , M Khovratovich , et al. (2013) Modifiable determinants of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status in early childhood: opportunities for prevention. JAMA Pediatr 167, 230–235.
42. VL Cribb , K Northstone , D Hopkins , et al. (2015) Sources of vitamin D and calcium in the diets of preschool children in the UK and the theoretical effect of food fortification. J Hum Nutr Diet 28, 583–592.
44. SD Thomas , AG Need & BE Nordin (2010) Suppression of C-terminal telopeptide in hypovitaminosis D requires calcium as well as vitamin D. Calcif Tissue Int 86, 367–374.
46. R Goussous , L Song , GE Dallal , et al. (2005) Lack of effect of calcium intake on the 25-hydroxyvitamin D response to oral vitamin D3. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90, 707–711.
47. M Absoud , C Cummins , MJ Lim , et al. (2011) Prevalence and predictors of vitamin D insufficiency in children: a great Britain population based study. PLoS ONE 6, e22179.
48. AM Eloranta , V Lindi , U Schwab , et al. (2012) Dietary factors associated with overweight and body adiposity in Finnish children aged 6-8 years: the PANIC study. Int J Obes (Lond) 36, 950–955.