2. Schoeller, DA (2009) The energy balance equation: looking back and looking forward are two very different views. Nutr Rev 67, 249–254.
3. Heymsfield, SB, Gonzalez, MCC, Shen, W, et al. (2014) Weight loss composition is one-fourth fat-free mass: a critical review and critique of this widely cited rule. Obes Rev 15, 310–321.
4. Delany, JP, Kelley, DE, Hames, KC, et al. (2014) Effect of physical activity on weight loss, energy expenditure, and energy intake during diet induced weight loss. Obesity 22, 363–370.
5. Stoner, L, Rowlands, D, Morrison, A, et al. (2016) Efficacy of exercise intervention for weight loss in overweight and obese adolescents: meta-analysis and implications. Sport Med 46, 1737–1751.
6. Margaria, R, Cerretelli, P, Aghemo, P, et al. (1963) Energy cost of running. J Appl Physiol 18, 367–370.
7. Tanaka, H & Jackowska, M (2016) Slow Jogging: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, and Have Fun with Science-Based, Natural Running. New York: Skyhorse Publishing.
8. Ikenaga, M, Yamada, Y, Kose, Y, et al. (2017) Effects of a 12-week, short-interval, intermittent, low-intensity, slow-jogging program on skeletal muscle, fat infiltration, and fitness in older adults: randomized controlled trial. Eur J Appl Physiol 117, 7–15.
9. Ando, T, Usui, C, Ohkawara, K, et al. (2013) Effects of intermittent physical activity on fat utilization over a whole day. Med Sci Sports Exerc 45, 1410–1418.
12. Ninomiya, K (2016) Food science of dashi and umami taste. Yakugaku Zasshi 136, 1327–1334.
13. Willcox, BJ & Willcox, DC (2014) Caloric restriction, caloric restriction mimetics, and healthy aging in Okinawa: controversies and clinical implications. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 17, 51–58.
14. Murakami, H, Kawakami, R, Nakae, S, et al. (2016) Accuracy of wearable devices for estimating total energy expenditure: comparison with metabolic chamber and doubly labeled water method. JAMA Intern Med 176, 702–703.
15. Mori, Y, Ayabe, M, Yahiro, T, et al. (2006) The effects of home-based bench step exercise on aerobic capacity, lower extremity power and static balance in older adults. Int. J Sport Health Sci 4, 570–576.
16. Rodriguez, NNR, Di Marco, N, Langley, S, et al. (2009) American College of Sports Medicine, American Dietetic Association, and Dietitians of Canada joint position statement: nutrition and athletic performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc 41, 709–731.
17. Japan Society for the study of Obesity (editor) (2016) Guidelines for the Management of Obesity Disease 2016, 3rd ed. Tokyo: Life Science (in Japanese).
18. Sagayama, H, Yoshimura, E, Yamada, Y, et al. (2014) Effects of rapid weight loss and regain on body composition and energy expenditure. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 39, 21–27.
19. Sagayama, H, Jikumaru, Y, Hirata, A, et al. (2014) Measurement of body composition in response to a short period of overfeeding. J Physiol Anthropol 33, 29.
20. Racette, SB, Schoeller, DA, Luke, AH, et al. (1994) Relative dilution spaces of 2H- and 18O-labeled water in humans. Am J Physiol 267, E585–E590.
21. Schoeller, DA, Ravussin, E, Schutz, Y, et al. (1986) Energy expenditure by doubly labeled water: validation in humans and proposed calculation. Am J Physiol 250, R823–R830.
22. Black, AE, Prentice, AM & Coward, WA (1986) Use of food quotients to predict respiratory quotients for the doubly-labelled water method of measuring energy expenditure. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 40, 381–391.
23. Weir, JB (1949) New methods for calculating metabolic rate with special reference to protein metabolism. J Physiol 109, 1–9.
24. Ganpule, AA, Tanaka, S, Ishikawa-Takata, K, et al. (2007) Interindividual variability in sleeping metabolic rate in Japanese subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 1256–1261.
25. Yoshimura, E, Kumahara, H, Tobina, T, et al. (2014) Aerobic exercise attenuates the loss of skeletal muscle during energy restriction in adults with visceral adiposity. Obes Facts 7, 26–35.
26. Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2015) Dietary Reference Intake for Japanese 2015. Tokyo: Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
27. Sagayama, H, Hamaguchi, G, Toguchi, M, et al. (2017) Energy requirement assessment in Japanese table tennis players using the doubly labeled water method. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 32, 1–21.
28. Sagayama, H, Kondo, E, Shiose, K, et al. (2017) Energy requirement assessment and water turnover in Japanese college wrestlers using the doubly labeled water method. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 63, 141–147.
29. Jensen, MD, Ryan, DH, Apovian, CM, et al. (2014) 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines and the Obesity Society. J Am Coll Cardiol 63, 2985–3023.
30. Nakata, Y, Okada, M, Hashimoto, K, et al. (2014) Weight loss maintenance for 2 years after a 6-month randomised controlled trial comparing education-only and group-based support in Japanese adults. Obes Facts 7, 376–387.
31. Heymsfield, SB, Thomas, D, Martin, CK, et al. (2012) Energy content of weight loss: kinetic features during voluntary caloric restriction. Metabolism 61, 937–943.
32. Schoeller, DA & Thomas, D (2015) Energy balance and body composition. World Rev Nutr Diet 111, 13–18.
33. Redman, LM, Heilbronn, LK, Martin, CK, et al. (2007) Effect of calorie restriction with or without exercise on body composition and fat distribution. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92, 865–872.
34. Heymsfield, SB, Thomas, D, Nguyen, AM, et al. (2011) Voluntary weight loss: systematic review of early phase body composition changes. Obes Rev 12, 348–361.
35. Chaston, TB, Dixon, JB & O’Brien, PE (2007) Changes in fat-free mass during significant weight loss: a systematic review. Int J Obes 31, 743–750.
36. Ainsworth, BE, Haskell, WL, Herrmann, SD, et al. (2011) 2011 compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values. Med Sci Sports Exerc 43, 1575–1581.
37. Pasiakos, SM, Cao, JJ, Margolis, LM, et al. (2013) Effects of high-protein diets on fat-free mass and muscle protein synthesis following weight loss: a randomized controlled trial. FASEB J 27, 3837–3847.
38. Leidy, HJ, Clifton, PM, Astrup, A, et al. (2015) The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance. Am J Clin Nutr 101, 1320S–1329S.
39. Bonomi, AG, Soenen, S, Goris, AHC, et al. (2013) Weight-loss induced changes in physical activity and activity energy expenditure in overweight and obese subjects before and after energy restriction. PLOS ONE 8, 1–8.
40. Williamson, DF, Serdula, MK, Anda, RF, et al. (1992) Weight loss attempts in adults: goals, duration, and rate of weight loss. Am J Public Health 82, 1251–1257.
41. Nishida, Y, Higaki, Y, Tokuyama, K, et al. (2001) Effect of mild exercise training on glucose effectiveness in healthy men. Diabetes Care 24, 1008–1013.
42. Sunami, Y, Motoyama, M, Kinoshita, F, et al. (1999) Effects of low-intensity aerobic training on the high-density lipoprotein cholesterol concentration in healthy elderly subjects. Metabolism 48, 984–988.
43. Hatamoto, Y, Goya, R, Yamada, Y, et al. (2017) Effect of exercise timing on elevated postprandial glucose levels. J Appl Physiol (Epublication ahead of print version 20 April 2017).