1. Minino, AM, Murphy, SL, Xu, J, et al. (2011) Deaths: final data for 2008. Natl Vital Stat Rep 59, 1–126.
2. GBD 2016 Causes of Death Collaborators (2017) Global, regional, and national age-sex specific mortality for 264 causes of death, 1980–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. Lancet 390, 1151–1210.
3. Weiss, ST (2010) Lung function and airway diseases. Nat Genet 42, 14–16.
4. Forey, BA, Thornton, AJ & Lee, PN (2011) Systematic review with meta-analysis of the epidemiological evidence relating smoking to COPD, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. BMC Pulm Med 11, 36.
5. Guerra, S, Stern, DA, Zhou, M, et al. (2013) Combined effects of parental and active smoking on early lung function deficits: a prospective study from birth to age 26 years. Thorax 68, 1021–1028.
6. Fletcher, JM, Basdeo, SA, Allen, AC, et al. (2012) Therapeutic use of vitamin D and its analogues in autoimmunity. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov 6, 22–34.
8. Bikle, DD, Gee, E, Halloran, B, et al. (1986) Assessment of the free fraction of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in serum and its regulation by albumin and the vitamin D-binding protein. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 63, 954–959.
9. Nykjaer, A, Dragun, D, Walther, D, et al. (1999) An endocytic pathway essential for renal uptake and activation of the steroid 25-(OH) vitamin D3
. Cell 96, 507–515.
10. Zerwekh, JE (2008) Blood biomarkers of vitamin D status. Am J Clin Nutr 87, 1087S–1091S.
11. Nielson, CM, Jones, KS, Chun, RF, et al. (2016) Free 25-hydroxyvitamin D: impact of vitamin D binding protein assays on racial-genotypic associations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 101, 2226–2234.
12. Freedman, BI & Register, TC (2012) Effect of race and genetics on vitamin D metabolism, bone and vascular health. Nat Rev Nephrol 8, 459–466.
13. Black, PN & Scragg, R (2005) Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin d and pulmonary function in the third national health and nutrition examination survey. Chest 128, 3792–3798.
14. Choi, CJ, Seo, M, Choi, WS, et al. (2013) Relationship between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and lung function among Korean adults in Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES), 2008–2010. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98, 1703–1710.
15. Hansen, JG, Gao, W, Dupuis, J, et al. (2015) Association of 25-hydroxyvitamin D status and genetic variation in the vitamin D metabolic pathway with FEV1 in the Framingham Heart Study. Respir Res 16, 81.
16. Afzal, S, Lange, P, Bojesen, SE, et al. (2014) Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D, lung function and risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 69, 24–31.
17. Berry, DJ, Hesketh, K, Power, C, et al. (2011) Vitamin D status has a linear association with seasonal infections and lung function in British adults. Br J Nutr 106, 1433–1440.
18. Thuesen, BH, Skaaby, T, Husemoen, LL, et al. (2015) The association of serum 25-OH vitamin D with atopy, asthma, and lung function in a prospective study of Danish adults. Clin Exp Allergy 45, 265–272.
19. Tolppanen, AM, Williams, D, Henderson, J, et al. (2011) Serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D and ionised calcium in relation to lung function and allergen skin tests. Eur J Clin Nutr 65, 493–500.
20. Shaheen, SO, Jameson, KA, Robinson, SM, et al. (2011) Relationship of vitamin D status to adult lung function and COPD. Thorax 66, 692–698.
21. Niruban, SJ, Alagiakrishnan, K, Beach, J, et al. (2015) Association between vitamin D and respiratory outcomes in Canadian adolescents and adults. J Asthma 52, 653–661.
22. Tolppanen, AM, Sayers, A, Granell, R, et al. (2013) Prospective association of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and D2 with childhood lung function, asthma, wheezing, and flexural dermatitis. Epidemiology 24, 310–319.
23. Lange, NE, Sparrow, D, Vokonas, P, et al. (2012) Vitamin D deficiency, smoking, and lung function in the Normative Aging Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 186, 616–621.
24. Khan, S, Mai, XM & Chen, Y (2013) Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D associated with pulmonary function in Canadian adults with excess adiposity. Am J Clin Nutr 98, 174–179.
25. O’Neal, JD (2015) Vitamin D supplementation regimens for HIV-infected patients: a historical chart review. Scholar Archive, paper 3661.
26. Mannino, DM, Diaz-Guzman, E & Buist, S (2011) Pre- and post-bronchodilator lung function as predictors of mortality in the Lung Health Study. Respir Res 12, 136.
27. Phinney, KW (2008) Development of a standard reference material for vitamin D in serum. Am J Clin Nutr 88, 511S–512S.
28. Lederer, DJ, Enright, PL, Kawut, SM, et al. (2009) Cigarette smoking is associated with subclinical parenchymal lung disease: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA)-lung study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180, 407–414.
29. Fujiyoshi, A, Polgreen, LE, Hurley, DL, et al. (2013) A cross-sectional association between bone mineral density and parathyroid hormone and other biomarkers in community-dwelling young adults: the CARDIA study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98, 4038–4046.
30. Harris, TB, Launer, LJ, Eiriksdottir, G, et al. (2007) Age, Gene/Environment Susceptibility-Reykjavik Study: multidisciplinary applied phenomics. Am J Epidemiol 165, 1076–1087.
31. Runarsdottir, SB, Gudmundsson, G, Aspelund, T, et al. (2013) Prevalence of airflow obstruction in nonsmoking older individuals using different spirometric criteria: the AGES Reykjavik Study. COPD 10, 493–499.
32. Morris, TP, Fisher, DJ, Kenward, MG, et al. (2018) Meta-analysis of Gaussian individual patient data: two-stage or not two-stage? Stat Med 37, 1419–1438.
33. Higgins, JP, Thompson, SG, Deeks, JJ, et al. (2003) Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. BMJ 327, 557–560.
35. Mirabelli, MC, Preisser, JS, Loehr, LR, et al. (2016) Lung function decline over 25 years of follow-up among black and white adults in the ARIC study cohort. Respir Med 113, 57–64.
36. Hansdottir, S, Monick, MM, Hinde, SL, et al. (2008) Respiratory epithelial cells convert inactive vitamin D to its active form: potential effects on host defense. J Immunol 181, 7090–7099.
37. Colotta, F, Jansson, B & Bonelli, F (2017) Modulation of inflammatory and immune responses by vitamin D. J Autoimmun 85, 78–97.
38. Dimeloe, S, Richards, DF, Urry, ZL, et al. (2012) 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 promotes CD200 expression by human peripheral and airway-resident T cells. Thorax 67, 574–581.
39. Boyan, BD, Wong, KL, Fang, M, et al. (2007) 1alpha,25(OH)2D3 is an autocrine regulator of extracellular matrix turnover and growth factor release via ERp60 activated matrix vesicle metalloproteinases. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 103, 467–472.
40. Herr, C, Greulich, T, Koczulla, RA, et al. (2011) The role of vitamin D in pulmonary disease: COPD, asthma, infection, and cancer. Respir Res 12, 31.
41. Schlaich, C, Minne, HW, Bruckner, T, et al. (1998) Reduced pulmonary function in patients with spinal osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 8, 261–267.
42. Thompson, SG & Higgins, JP (2002) How should meta-regression analyses be undertaken and interpreted? Stat Med 21, 1559–1573.
43. Hofmann, JN, Yu, K, Horst, RL, et al. (2010) Long-term variation in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration among participants in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19, 927–931.
44. Jorde, R, Sneve, M, Hutchinson, M, et al. (2010) Tracking of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels during 14 years in a population-based study and during 12 months in an intervention study. Am J Epidemiol 171, 903–908.
45. Amara, CE, Koval, JJ, Paterson, DH, et al. (2001) Lung function in older humans: the contribution of body composition, physical activity and smoking. Ann Hum Biol 28, 522–536.
46. Burri, PH, Gehr, P, Muller, K, et al. (1976) Adaptation of the growing lung to increased VO2. I. IDPN as inducer of hyperactivity. Respir Physiol 28, 129–140.
47. Cheng, YJ, Macera, CA, Addy, CL, et al. (2003) Effects of physical activity on exercise tests and respiratory function. Br J Sports Med 37, 521–528.
48. Jamal, A, Homa, DM, O’Connor, E, et al. (2015) Current cigarette smoking among adults - United States, 2005–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 64, 1233–1240.
49. Fryar, CD, Gu, Q & Ogden, CL (2012) Anthropometric reference data for children and adults: United States, 2007–2010. Vital Health Stat 11, 1–48.
50. Ward, BW, Nugent, CN, Blumberg, SJ, et al. (2017) Measuring the prevalence of diagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in the United States using Data from the 2012–2014 National Health Interview Survey. Public Health Rep 132, 149–156.