This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. Y Xu (2013) Prevalence and control of diabetes in Chinese adults. JAMA 310, 948.
2. P Zhang , X Zhang , J Brown , et al. (2010) Global healthcare expenditure on diabetes for 2010 and 2030. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 87, 293–301.
3. X Zhang , D Shen , Z Fang , et al. (2013) Human gut microbiota changes reveal the progression of glucose intolerance. PLOS ONE 8, e71108.
4. Z Xu , D Malmer , MGI Langille , et al. (2014) Which is more important for classifying microbial communities: who’s there or what they can do? ISME J 8, 2357–2359.
5. J Qin , R Li , J Raes , et al. (2010) A human gut microbial gene catalogue established by metagenomic sequencing. Nature 464, 59–65.
6. FH Karlsson , V Tremaroli , I Nookaew , et al. (2013) Gut metagenome in European women with normal, impaired and diabetic glucose control. Nature 498, 99–103.
7. N Larsen , FK Vogensen , FWJ van den Berg , et al. (2010) Gut microbiota in human adults with type 2 diabetes differs from non-diabetic adults. PLoS ONE 5, e9085.
8. V Tremaroli & F Bäckhed (2012) Functional interactions between the gut microbiota and host metabolism. Nature 489, 242–249.
9. F De Vadder , P Kovatcheva-Datchary , D Goncalves , et al. (2014) Microbiota-generated metabolites promote metabolic benefits via gut-brain neural circuits. Cell 156, 84–96.
10. F Backhed , H Ding , T Wang , et al. (2004) The gut microbiota as an environmental factor that regulates fat storage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101, 15718–15723.
11. H Tilg & AR Moschen (2014) Microbiota and diabetes: an evolving relationship. Gut 63, 1513–1521.
12. MT Khan , M Nieuwdorp & F Bäckhed (2014) Microbial modulation of insulin sensitivity. Cell Metab 20, 753–760.
13. J Amar , C Chabo , A Waget , et al. (2011) Intestinal mucosal adherence and translocation of commensal bacteria at the early onset of type 2 diabetes: molecular mechanisms and probiotic treatment. EMBO Mol Med 3, 559–572.
14. R Burcelin (2012) Regulation of metabolism: a cross talk between gut microbiota and its human host. Physiology (Bethesda) 27, 300–307.
15. PD Cani , J Amar , MA Iglesias , et al. (2007) Metabolic endotoxemia initiates obesity and insulin resistance. Diabetes 56, 1761–1772.
16. A Everard & PD Cani (2013) Diabetes, obesity and gut microbiota. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 27, 73–83.
17. F Karlsson , V Tremaroli , J Nielsen , et al. (2013) Assessing the human gut microbiota in metabolic diseases. Diabetes 62, 3341–3349.
18. PJ Turnbaugh , M Hamady , T Yatsunenko , et al. (2009) A core gut microbiome in obese and lean twins. Nature 457, 480–484.
19. LA David , CF Maurice , RN Carmody , et al. (2013) Diet rapidly and reproducibly alters the human gut microbiome. Nature 505, 559–563.
20. C He , Y Shan & W Song (2015) Targeting gut microbiota as a possible therapy for diabetes. Nutr Res 35, 361–367.
21. A Soare , YM Khazrai , R Del Toro , et al. (2014) The effect of the macrobiotic Ma-Pi 2 diet vs. the recommended diet in the management of type 2 diabetes: the randomized controlled MADIAB trial. Nutr Metab 11, 39.
23. M Centanni , S Turroni , C Consolandi , et al. (2013) The enterocyte-associated intestinal microbiota of breast-fed infants and adults responds differently to a TNF-α-mediated pro-inflammatory stimulus. PLOS ONE 8, e81762.
24. A Klindworth , E Pruesse , T Schweer , et al. (2013) Evaluation of general 16S ribosomal RNA gene PCR primers for classical and next-generation sequencing-based diversity studies. Nucleic Acids Res 41, e1.
26. JG Caporaso , J Kuczynski , J Stombaugh , et al. (2010) QIIME allows analysis of high-throughput community sequencing data. Nat Methods 7, 335–336.
27. RC Edgar (2010) Search and clustering orders of magnitude faster than BLAST. Bioinformatics 26, 2460–2461.
28. MGI Langille , J Zaneveld , JG Caporaso , et al. (2013) Predictive functional profiling of microbial communities using 16S rRNA marker gene sequences. Nat Biotechnol 31, 814–821.
29. M Kanehisa , S Goto , Y Sato , et al. (2012) KEGG for integration and interpretation of large-scale molecular data sets. Nucleic Acids Res 40, D109–D114.
30. F Asnicar , G Weingart , TL Tickle , et al. (2015) Compact graphical representation of phylogenetic data and metadata with GraPhlAn. PeerJ 3, e1029.
31. CA Lozupone , J Stombaugh , A Gonzalez , et al. (2013) Meta-analyses of studies of the human microbiota. Genome Res 23, 1704–1714.
32. JR Marchesi , BE Dutilh , N Hall , et al. (2011) Towards the human colorectal cancer microbiome. PLoS ONE 6, e20447.
33. XC Morgan , TL Tickle , H Sokol , et al. (2012) Dysfunction of the intestinal microbiome in inflammatory bowel disease and treatment. Genome Biol 13, R79.
34. P Thams & K Capito (1999) L-arginine stimulation of glucose-induced insulin secretion through membrane depolarization and independent of nitric oxide. Eur J Endocrinol 140, 87–93.
35. E Holmes , RL Loo , J Stamler , et al. (2008) Human metabolic phenotype diversity and its association with diet and blood pressure. Nature 453, 396–400.
36. JK Nicholson , E Holmes , J Kinross , et al. (2012) Host-gut microbiota metabolic interactions. Science 336, 1262–1267.
38. CP Ridley , HY Lee & C Khosla (2008) Evolution of polyketide synthases in bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105, 4595–4600.
39. F Faber & AJ Bäumler (2014) The impact of intestinal inflammation on the nutritional environment of the gut microbiota. Immunol Lett 162, 48–53.
40. LC Wieland Brown , C Penaranda , PC Kashyap , et al. (2013) Production of α-galactosylceramide by a prominent member of the human gut microbiota. PLoS Biol 11, e1001610.
41. E Biagi , L Nylund , M Candela , et al. (2010) Through ageing, and beyond: gut microbiota and inflammatory status in seniors and centenarians. PLoS ONE 5, e10667.
42. M Tong , X Li , L Wegener Parfrey , et al. (2013) A modular organization of the human intestinal mucosal microbiota and its association with inflammatory bowel disease. PLOS ONE 8, e80702.
44. FH Karlsson , F Fåk , I Nookaew , et al. (2012) Symptomatic atherosclerosis is associated with an altered gut metagenome. Nat Commun 3, 1245.
45. W Jiang , N Wu , X Wang , et al. (2015) Dysbiosis gut microbiota associated with inflammation and impaired mucosal immune function in intestine of humans with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Sci Rep 5, 8096.
46. N Kamada , SU Seo , GY Chen , et al. (2013) Role of the gut microbiota in immunity and inflammatory disease. Nat Rev Immunol 13, 321–335.
47. J Qin , Y Li , Z Cai , et al. (2012) A metagenome-wide association study of gut microbiota in type 2 diabetes. Nature 490, 55–60.
HJ Flint , SH Duncan , KP Scott , et al. (2015) Links between diet, gut microbiota composition and gut metabolism. Proc Nutr Soc
49. WR Russell , L Hoyles , HJ Flint , et al. (2013) Colonic bacterial metabolites and human health. Curr Opin Microbiol 16, 246–254.
50. A Trompette , ES Gollwitzer , K Yadava , et al. (2014) Gut microbiota metabolism of dietary fiber influences allergic airway disease and hematopoiesis. Nat Med 20, 159–166.
51. JP Segain , D Raingeard de la Blétière , A Bourreille , et al. (2000) Butyrate inhibits inflammatory responses through NFkappaB inhibition: implications for Crohn’s disease. Gut 47, 397–403.
52. AMF Johnson & JM Olefsky (2013) The origins and drivers of insulin resistance. Cell 152, 673–684.
53. ED Sonnenburg & JL Sonnenburg (2014) Starving our microbial self: the deleterious consequences of a diet deficient in microbiota-accessible carbohydrates. Cell Metab 20, 779–786.
54. A Everard , C Belzer , L Geurts , et al. (2013) Cross-talk between Akkermansia muciniphila and intestinal epithelium controls diet-induced obesity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110, 9066–9071.
55. J Xu , F Lian , L Zhao , et al. (2015) Structural modulation of gut microbiota during alleviation of type 2 diabetes with a Chinese herbal formula. ISME J 9, 552–562.
56. LK Brahe , E Le Chatelier , E Prifti , et al. (2015) Specific gut microbiota features and metabolic markers in postmenopausal women with obesity. Nutr Diabetes 5, e159.
57. MY Donath & SE Shoelson (2011) Type 2 diabetes as an inflammatory disease. Nat Rev Immunol 11, 98–107.
SL Schnorr , M Candela , S Rampelli , et al. (2014) Gut microbiome of the Hadza hunter-gatherers. Nat Commun
58. SL Schnorr , M Candela , S Rampelli , et al. (2014) Gut microbiome of the Hadza hunter-gatherers. Nat Commun 5, 3654.