1. Liu, Y, Rao, K, Wu, J, Gakidou, E. China’s health system performance. The Lancet 2008;372:1914–23.
2. Tian, F, Han, C, Fu, M.Several impairing factors and countermeasures on the harmonious doctor–patient relationship. Zhongguo Yiyuan Guanli [Chinese Hospital Management] 2006;26(12):82–84.
3. Qiu, R.Where are vitals of the serious worsening of physician–patient relationship. Yixue Yu Zhexue [Journal of Medicine and Philosophy] 2005;26(11):5–7.
4. The research was conducted among 4,353 patients. Patient violence affects 60% of doctors. Xinhua News Agency 2008 Feb 26; available at http:// www.china.org.cn (last accessed 12 Mar 2008).
5. Zhang, X, Wang, H, Chen, X.Investigation on occupation status of medical workers in China. Kexue Jishu Daobao [Science & Technology Review] 2009;27(18):118–9.
6. In China, state-owned hospitals are defined as not-for-profit healthcare institutions, or public hospitals, even though they mostly function on the basis of market principles. Hospitals can also be categorized as “general” and “specified,” the former of which covers most kinds of health service items. There are also three tiers of hospitals mainly based on the number of beds available for inpatients. Level 3 constitutes the top level.
7. Bai, N, Yue, C, Li, Z. Analyses of non-technical medical factors in the physician–patient conflict in chinese medical ethics. Zhongguo Yixue Lunlixue [Chinese Medical Ethics] 2009;22(1):47–48.
8. Yu, HD, Petrini, MA.A survey of Chinese nurses’ current knowledge of pain in older people. Journal of Clinical Nursing 2007;16(5):963–70.
9. Sun, H, Wang, X, Ling, L, Lu, Y.The study of psychological causes of the intense doctor–patient relationship and problem-solving strategies in Chinese medical ethics. Zhongguo Yixue Lunlixue [Chinese Medical Ethics] 2008;21(6):43–5.
10. Wang, W.The source and outlet of the crisis of confidence in the doctor–patient relationship in China. Yixue Yu Zhexue [Journal of Medicine and Philosophy] 2009;30(2):34–5.
11. Huang, C.Regarding patient as the centre: The core concept of the doctor–patient harmonious relationship in Chinese medical ethics. Zhongguo Yixue Lunlixue [Chinese Medical Ethics] 2008;21(6):52–3.
12. Song, Y, Zhou, Q.Survey on situation of contradiction between patient and doctor and searching for a balance of relationship between doctor and patient. Zhongguo Weisheng Shiye Guanli [China’s Health Service Management] 2003;19(2):69–72.
13. Yang, J.Serve the People: Communist Ideology and Professional Ethics of Medicine in China. . Sydney: Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Technology.
The project that conducted the National Survey on the Practice and Attitudes of Medical Professionals was financially supported by the Chinese Association of Science and Technology (Project 2007DGY11). The analysis in this article has also benefited from the knowledge gained through a British Academy Visiting Fellowship grant (VF2008/49098) and the project International Science and Bioethics Collaborations, financed by the ESRC (RES-062-23—0215).