This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. AD Slonim , KM Patel , UE Ruttimann , MM Pollack . Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in pediatric intensive care units. Crit Care Med 1997; 25: 1951–1955.
2. N de Mos , RR van Litsenburg , B McCrindle , DJ Bohn , CS Parshuram . Pediatric in-intensive-care-unit cardiac arrest: incidence, survival, and predictive factors. Crit Care Med 2006; 34: 1209–1215.
3. P Suominen , R Palo , H Sairanen , KT Olkkola , J Rasanen . Perioperative determinants and outcome of cardiopulmonary arrest in children after heart surgery. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2001; 19: 127–134.
4. VM Nadkarni , GL Larkin , MA Peberdy , . First documented rhythm and clinical outcome from in-hospital cardiac arrest among children and adults. JAMA 2006; 295: 50–57.
7. G Wernovsky , D Wypij , RA Jonas , . Postoperative course and hemodynamic profile after the arterial switch operation in neonates and infants. A comparison of low-flow cardiopulmonary bypass and circulatory arrest. Circulation 1995; 92: 2226–2235.
8. TM Hoffman , G Wernovsky , AM Atz , . Efficacy and safety of milrinone in preventing low cardiac output syndrome in infants and children after corrective surgery for congenital heart disease. Circulation 2003; 107: 996–1002.
10. PM Kirshbom , ND Bridges , RJ Myung , JW Gaynor , BJ Clark , TL Spray . Use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in pediatric thoracic organ transplantation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 123: 130–136.
12. CK Allan , RR Thiagarajan , PJ del Nido , SJ Roth , MC Almodovar , PC Laussen . Indication for initiation of mechanical circulatory support impacts survival of infants with shunted single-ventricle circulation supported with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2007; 133: 660–667.
13. BW Duncan , AE Ibrahim , V Hraska , . Use of rapid-deployment extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for the resuscitation of pediatric patients with heart disease after cardiac arrest. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1998; 116: 305–311.
14. NS Kolovos , SL Bratton , FW Moler , . Outcome of pediatric patients treated with extracorporeal life support after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 76: 1435–1441.
15. MC Morris , G Wernovsky , VM Nadkarni . Survival outcomes after extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation instituted during active chest compressions following refractory in-hospital pediatric cardiac arrest. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2004; 5: 440–446.
16. B Alsoufi , I Shen , T Karamlou , . Extracorporeal life support in neonates, infants and children after repair of congenital heart disease: modern era results in a single institution. Ann Thorac Surg 2005; 80: 15–21.
17. EM Delmo Walter , B Stiller , R Hetzer , . Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for perioperative cardiac support in children I: experience at the Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin (1987–2005). ASAIO J 2007; 53: 246–254.
18. RM Ungerleider , I Shen , T Yeh , . Routine mechanical ventricular assist following the Norwood procedure-improved neurologic outcome and excellent hospital survival. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 77: 18–22.
19. AS Aharon , Jr DC Drinkwater , KB Churchwell , . Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in children after repair of congenital heart lesions. Ann Thorac Surg 2001; 72: 2095–2101.
20. C Ravishankar , TE Dominguez , J Kreutzer , . Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation after stage I reconstruction for hypoplastic heart syndrome. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2006; 7: 319–323.
21. R Hetzer , EV Potapov , B Stiller , . Improvement in survival after mechanical circulatory support with pneumatic pulsatile ventricular assist devices in pediatric patients. Ann Thorac Surg 2006; 82: 917–925.
22. ED Blume , DC Naftel , HJ Bastardi , BW Duncan , JK Kirklin , SA Webber . Outcomes of children bridged to heart transplantation with ventricular assist devices-a multi-institutional study. Circulation 2006; 113: 2313–2319.
23. KL Booth , SP Roth , RR Thiagarajan , MC Almodovar , PJ delNido , PC Laussen . Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support of the Fontan and bi-directional Glenn circulations. Ann Thorac Surg 2004; 77: 1341–1348.
24. GM Hoffman , EA Stuth , RD Jaquiss , . Changes in cerebral and somatic oxygenation during stage 1 palliation of hypoplastic left heart syndrome using continuous regional cerebral perfusion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2004; 127: 223–233.
25. GM Hoffman , NS Ghanayem , JS Tweddell . Noninvasive assessment of cardiac output. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2005; 8: 12–21.
26. GM Hoffman . Pro: NIRS should be used for all cardiopulmonary bypass. J Cardiovasc Anesth 2006; 20: 606–612.
27. S Tabbutt , MA Helfaer , DG Nicols . Pharmacology of cardiovascular drugs. In: Nichols DG (ed). Critical heart disease in infants and children. Mosby, Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2006, pp 173–204.
28.Hypothermia After Cardiac Arrest Study Group. Mild therapeutic hypothermia to improve the neurologic outcome after cardiac arrest. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 549–556.
29. SA Bernard , TW Gray , MD Buist , . Treatment of comatose survivors of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with induced hypothermia. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 557–563.
30. PD Gluckman , JS Wyatt , D Azzopardi , . Selective head cooling with mild systemic hypothermia after neonatal encephalopathy: multicentre randomized trial. Lancet 2005; 365: 663–670.
31. S Shankaran , A Laptook , LL Wright , . Whole-body hypothermia for neonatal encephalopathy: animal observations as a basis for a randomized, controlled pilot study in term infants. Pediatrics 2002; 110: 377–385.
32. RW Hickey , PM Kochanek , H Ferimer , SH Graham , P Safar . Hypothermia and hyperthermia in children after resuscitation from cardiac arrest. Pediatrics 2000; 106: 118–122.
33. W Tang , MH Weil , S Sun . The effects of biphasic and conventional monophasic defibrillation on post resuscitation myocardial function. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 34: 815–822.
34. JM Liet , C Jacqueline , JL Orsonneau , C Gras-Leguen , G Potel , JC Roze . The effects of milrinone on hemodynamics in an experimental septic shock model. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2005; 6: 195–199.
35. MJ Garcia Gonzalez , A Dominguez Rodriguez . Pharmacologic treatment of heart failure due to ventricular dysfunction by myocardial stunning: potential role of levosimendan. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2006; 6: 69–75.
38. K Sunde , M Pytte , D Jacobsen , . Implementation of a standardized treatment protocol for post resuscitation care after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2007; 73: 29–39.