This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. SV Rasiah , M Publicover , AK Ewer , KS Khan , MD Kilby , J Zamora . A systematic review of the accuracy of first-trimester ultrasound examination for detecting major congenital heart disease. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006; 28: 110–116.
2. LH Harris . Rethinking maternal-fetal conflict: gender and equality in perinatal ethics. Obstet Gynecol 2000; 96: 786–791.
5. WI Norwood Jr. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 1991; 52: 688–695.
6. LL Bailey . Origins of neonatal heart transplantation: an historical perspective. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2011; 14: 98–100.
9. DB McElhinney , W Tworetzky , JE Lock . Current status of fetal cardiac intervention. Circulation 2010; 121: 1256–1263.
10. DB McElhinney , AC Marshall , LE Wilkins-Haug , Predictors of technical success and postnatal biventricular outcome after in utero aortic valvuloplasty for aortic stenosis with evolving hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Circulation 2009; 120: 1482–1490.
11. HM Gardiner . The case for fetal cardiac intervention. Heart 2009; 95: 1648–1652.
12. JM Simpson . Fetal cardiac interventions: worth it? Heart 2009; 95: 1653–1655.
13. PN Jone , KO Schowengerdt Jr. Prenatal diagnosis of congenital heart disease. Pediatr Clin North Am 2009; 56: 709–715.
16. F Fontan , JW Kirklin , G Fernandez , Outcome after a “perfect” Fontan operation. Circulation 1990; 81: 1520–1536.
17. MR de Leval , JE Deanfield . Four decades of Fontan palliation. Nat Rev Cardiol 2010; 7: 520–527.
18. C Mavroudis , BJ Deal , CL Backer , J. Maxwell Chamberlain Memorial Paper for congenital heart surgery. 111 Fontan conversions with arrhythmia surgery: surgical lessons and outcomes. Ann Thorac Surg 2007; 84: 1457–1466.
19. AD Lyerly , LM Mitchell , EM Armstrong , Risk and the pregnant body. Hastings Cent Rep 2009; 39: 34–42.
20. SD Brown , RD Truog , JA Johnson , JL Ecker . Do differences in the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists positions on the ethics of maternal–fetal interventions reflect subtly divergent professional sensitivities to pregnant women and fetuses? Pediatrics 2006; 117: 1382–1387.
21. EL Bove , RG Ohye , EJ Devaney . Hypoplastic left heart syndrome: conventional surgical management. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu 2004; 7: 3–10.
22. G Wernovsky . The paradigm shift toward surgical intervention for neonates with hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2008; 162: 849–854.
24. LF Ross , J Frader . Hypoplastic left heart syndrome: a paradigm case for examining conscientious objection in pediatric practice. J Pediatr 2009; 155: 12–15.
25. FA Chervenak , LB McCullough . Ethics of fetal surgery. Clin Perinatol 2009; 36: 237–246.
26. M Mellander . Perinatal management, counselling and outcome of fetuses with congenital heart disease. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 2005; 10: 586–593.
27. T Jancelewicz , MR Harrison . A history of fetal surgery. Clin Perinatol 2009; 36: 227–236.
28. A Patel , E Hickey , C Mavroudis , Impact of noncardiac congenital and genetic abnormalities on outcomes in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 2010; 89: 1805–1814.
31. CL Brosig , KA Mussatto , EM Kuhn , JS Tweddell . Psychosocial outcomes for preschool children and families after surgery for complex congenital heart disease. Pediatr Cardiol 2007; 28: 255–262.
32. Y d'Udekem , MM Cheung , S Setyapranata , How good is a Fontan operation? Quality of life and exercise capacity of Fontans without arrhythmias. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88: 1961–1969.
36. AR Opotowsky , D Shellenberger , V Dharan , Successful pregnancies in two women with hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Congenit Heart Dis 2010; 5: 476–481.
37. ST Lee , AJ White , S Matsushita , Intramyocardial injection of autologous cardiospheres or cardiosphere-derived cells preserves function and minimizes adverse ventricular remodeling in pigs with heart failure post-myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 57: 455–465.
38. FG Lacour-Gayet , CJ Lanning , S Stoica , An artificial right ventricle for failing Fontan: in vitro and computational study. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88: 170–176.
39. J Chinen , RH Buckley . Transplantation immunology: solid organ and bone marrow. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 125: S324–S335.
40. R Calne . Xenografting – the future of transplantation, and always will be? Xenotransplantation 2005; 12: 5–6.
42. M Prsa , CD Holly , FA Carnevale , H Justino , CV Rohlicek . Attitudes and practices of cardiologists and surgeons who manage HLHS. Pediatrics 2010; 125: e625–e630.
45. A Galindo , O Nieto , S Villagrá , A Grañeras , I Herraiz , A Mendoza . Hypoplastic left heart syndrome diagnosed in fetal life: associated findings, pregnancy outcome and results of palliative surgery. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2009; 33: 560–566.
46. J Tibballs , A Cantwell-Bartl . Outcomes of management decisions by parents for their infants with hypoplastic left heart syndrome born with and without a prenatal diagnosis. J Paediatr Child Health 2008; 44: 321–324.
47. DJ Wilkinson . Antenatal diagnosis of trisomy 18, harm and parental choice. J Med Ethics 2010; 36: 644–645.
48. MJ Parker , JL Budd , ES Draper , ID Young . Trisomy 13 and trisomy 18 in a defined population: epidemiological, genetic and prenatal observations. Prenat Diagn 2003; 23: 856–860.
49. B Freedman . Equipoise and the ethics of clinical research. N Engl J Med 1987; 317: 141–145.
50. RG Ohye , LA Sleeper , L Mahony , Comparison of shunt types in the Norwood procedure for single-ventricle lesions. N Engl J Med 2010; 362: 1980–1992.