This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. B Casey . Two rights make a wrong: human left-right malformations. Hum Molec Genet 1998; 7: 1565–1571.
2. IS Kathiriya , D Srivastava . Left-right asymmetry and cardiac looping: implications for cardiac development and congenital heart disease. Am J Med Genet 2000; 97: 271–279.
3. R Kato , Y Yamada , N Niikawa . De novo balanced translocation (6;18)(q21.3 or q22) in a patient with heterotaxia. Am J Med Genet 1996; 66: 184–186.
4. B Fritz , J Kunz , GP Knudsen , Situs ambiguus in a female fetus with balanced (X;21) translocation – evidence for functional nullisomy of the ZIC3 gene? Eur J Hum Genet 2005; 13: 34–40.
6. KS Kuehl , C Loffredo . Risk factors for heart disease associated with abnormal sidedness. Teratology 2002; 66: 242–248.
7. S-C Chen , PL Monteleone . Familial splenic anomaly. J Pediatr 1977; 91: 160–161.
8. S Alonso , ME Pierpont , W Radtke , Heterotaxia syndrome and autosomal dominant inheritance. Am J Med Genet 1995; 56: 12–15.
9. B Casey , BF Cuneo , C Vitali , Autosomal dominant transmission of familial laterality defects. Am J Med Genet 1996; 61: 325–328.
10. B Casey , M Devoto , KL Jones , A Ballabio . Mapping a gene for familial situs abnormalities to human chromosome Xq24-q27.1. Nature Genet 1993; 5: 403–407.
13. BA Hyatt , JL Lohr , HJ Yost . Initiation of vertebrate left–right axis formation by maternal Vg1. Nature 1996; 384: 62–65.
14. JJ Essner , JD Amack , MK Nyholm , EB Harris , HJ Yost . Kupffer's vesicle is a ciliated organ of asymmetry in the zebrafish embryo that initiates left-right development of the brain, heart and gut. Development 2005; 132: 1247–1260.
15. M Levin , RL Johnson , CD Stern , M Kuehn , C Tabin . A molecular pathway determining left-right asymmetry in chick embryogenesis. Cell 1995; 82: 803–814.
16. S Nonaka , Y Tanaka , Y Okada , Randomization of left-right asymmetry due to loss of nodal cilia generating leftward flow of extraembryonic fluid in mice lacking KIF3B motor protein. Cell 1998; 95: 829–837.
17. LA Lowe , DM Supp , K Sampath , Conserved left-right asymmetry of nodal expression and alterations in murine situs inversus. Nature 1996; 381: 158–161.
18. RS Mathias , RV Lacro , KL Jones . X-linked laterality sequence: situs inversus, complex cardiac defects, splenic defects. Am J Med Genet 1987; 28: 111–116.
19. SM Ware , J Peng , L Zhu , Identification and functional analysis of ZIC3 mutations in heterotaxy and related congenital heart defects. Am J Hum Genet 2004; 74: 93–105.
20. A Mégarbané , N Salem , E Stephan , X-linked transposition of the great arteries and incomplete penetrance among males with a nonsense mutation in ZIC3. Eur J Hum Genet 2000; 8: 704–708.
21. B Chhin , M Hatayama , D Bozon , Elucidation of penetrance variability of a ZIC3 mutation in a family with complex heart defects and functional analysis of ZIC3 mutations in the first zinc finger domain. Hum Mutat 2007; 28: 563–570.
23. C Meno , J Takeuchi , R Sakuma , Diffusion of nodal signaling activity in the absence of the feedback inhibitor lefty2. Dev Cell 2001; 1: 127–138.
24. K Kosaki , MT Bassi , R Kosaki , Characterization and mutation analysis of human LEFTY A and LEFTY B, homologues of murine genes implicated in left–right axis development. Am J Hum Genet 1999; 64: 712–721.
25. SP Oh , E Li . The signaling pathway mediated by the type IIB activin receptor controls axial patterning and lateral asymmetry in the mouse. Genes Dev 1997; 11: 1812–1826.
26. R Kosaki , M Gebbia , K Kosaki , Left-right axis malformations associated with mutations in ACVR2B, the gene for human activin receptor type IIB. Am J Med Genet 1999; 82: 70–76.
28. U Gaio , A Schweickert , A Fischer , A role of the cryptic gene in the correct establishment of the left–right axis. Curr Biol 1999; 9: 1339–1342.
30. E Goldmuntz , R Bamford , JD Karkera , J dela Cruz , E Roessler , M Muenke . CFC1 mutations in patients with transposition of the great arteries and double-outlet right ventricle. Am J Hum Genet 2002; 70: 776–780.
31. C Ozcelik , N Bit-Avragim , A Panek , Mutations in the EGF-CFC gene cryptic are an infrequent cause of congenital heart disease. Pediatr Cardiol 2006; 27: 695–698.
33. K Sakai-Kato , A Ishiguro , K Mikoshiba , J Aruga , N Utsunomiya-Tate . CD spectra show the relational style between Zic-, Gli-, Glis-zinc finger protein and DNA. Biochim Biophys Acta 2008; 1784: 1011–1019.
34. M Hatayama , T Tomizawa , K Sakai-Kato , Functional and structural basis of the nuclear localization signal in the ZIC3 zinc finger domain. Hum Mol Genet 2008; 17: 3459–3473.
35. L Zhu , G Zhou , S Poole , JW Belmont . Characterization of the interactions of human ZIC3 mutants with GLI3. Human Mutation 2008; 29: 99–105.
36. J Zlotogora , MS Schimmel , Y Glaser . Familial situs inversus and congenital heart defects. Am J Med Genet 1987; 26: 181–184.
37. M Gebbia , GB Ferrero , G Pilia , X-linked situs abnormalities result from mutations in ZIC3. Nat Genet 1997; 17: 305–308.
39. Y Watanabe , DW Benson , S Yano , T Akagi , M Yoshino , JC Murray . Two novel frameshift mutations in NKX2.5 result in novel features including visceral inversus and sinus venosus type ASD. J Med Genet 2002; 39: 807–811.
40. M Dentice , V Cordeddu , A Rosica , Missense mutation in the transcription factor NKX2-5: a novel molecular event in the pathogenesis of thyroid dysgenesis. J Clin Endocr Metab 2006; 91: 1428–1433.
41. SW Robinson , CD Morris , E Goldmuntz , Missense mutations in CRELD1 are associated with cardiac atrioventricular septal defects. Am J Hum Genet 2003; 72: 1047–1052.
42. E Roessler , MV Ouspenskaia , JD Karkera , Reduced NODAL signaling strength via mutation of several pathway members including FOXH1 is linked to human heart defects and holoprosencephaly. Am J Hum Genet 2008; 83: 18–29.
43. E Roessler , W Pei , MV Ouspenskaia , Cumulative ligand activity of NODAL mutations and modifiers are linked to human heart defects and holoprosencephaly. Mol Genet Metab 2009; 98: 225–234.