1. Marras AR, Bassareo PP, Ruscazio M. The prevalence of paediatric hypertension, emphasising the need to use specific population references: the Sardinian Hypertensive Adolescents Research Program Study. Cardiol Young 2009; 19: xxx–xxx (this issue).
2. Livingstone B. Epidemiology of childhood obesity in Europe. Eur J Pediatr 2000; 159: 14–34.
3. Sorof J, Daniels S. Obesity hypertension in children: a problem of epidemic proportions. Hypertension 2002; 40: 441–447.
4. He Q, Ding ZY, Fong DY, Karlberg J. Blood pressure is associated with body mass index in both normal and obese children. Hypertension 2000; 36: 165–170.
5. Cairella G, Menghetti E, Scanu A, et al. Elevated blood pressure in adolescents from Rome, Italy. Nutritional risk factors and physical activity. Ann Ig 2007; 19: 203–214.
6. He J, Whelton PK, Appel LJ, Charleston J, Klag MJ. Long-term effects of weight loss and dietary sodium reduction on incidence of hypertension. Hypertension 2000; 35: 544–549.
7. Csàbi G, Török K, Jeges S, Molnàr D. Presence of metabolic cardiovascular syndrome in obese children. Eur J Pediatr 2000; 159: 91–94.
8. Cook S, Weitzman M, Auinger P, Nguyen M, Dietz WH. Prevalence of a metabolic syndrome phenotype in adolescents: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–1994. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2003; 157: 821–827.
9. Baker JL, Olsen LW, Sørensen TI. Childhood body-mass index and the risk of coronary heart disease in adulthood. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 2329–2337.
10. Hohn AR. Guidebook for Pediatric Hypertension. Futura Publishing Company, New York, 1994.
11. Clark JA, Lieh-Lai MW, Sarnaik A, Mattoo TK. Discrepance between direct and indirect blood pressure measurements using various recommendations for arm cuff selection. Pediatrics 2002; 110: 920–923.
12. Menghetti E, Virdis R, Strambi M, et al. Blood pressure in childhood and adolescence: the Italian normal standards. Study group on Hypertension of the Italian Society of Pediatrics. J Hypertens 1999; 17: 1363–1372.
13. Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM, Dietz WH. Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 2000; 320: 1240–1251.
14. Lòpez-Alvarenga JC, Montesinos-Cabrera RA, Velàzques-Alva C, Gonzàles-Barranco J. Short stature is related to high body fat composition despite body mass index in a Mexican population. Arch Med Res 2003; 34: 137–140.
15. Nader PR, O’Brien M, Houts R, et al. Identifying risk for obesity in early childhood. Pediatrics 2006; 118: 594–601.
16. Rolland-Cachera MF, Sempè M, Guilloud-Bataille M, Patois E, Pèquignot-Guggenbuhl F, Fautrad V. Adiposity indices in children. Am J Clin Nutr 1982; 36: 178–184.
17. Tanner JM, Whitehouse RH. Clinical longitudinal standards for height, weight, height velocity, weight velocity, and stages of puberty. Arch Dis Child 1976; 51: 170–179.
18. Must A, Strauss RS. Risks and consequences of childhood and adolescent obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1999; 23: 2–11.
19. Dietz WH. Health consequences of obesity in youth: childhood predictors of adult disease. Pediatrics 1998; 101: 518–524.
20. Must A, Jacques PF, Dallal GE, Bajema CJ, Dietz WH. Long-term morbidity and mortality of overweight adolescents. A follow-up of the Harvard Growth Study of 1922 to 1935. N Engl J Med 1992; 5: 1350–1355.
21. Muntner P, He J, Cutler JA, Wildman RP, Whelton PK. Trends in blood pressure among children and adolescents. JAMA 2004; 291: 2107–2113.