1. Hussain, BS, Reddy, SV, Prasad, LN, Madhavi, G. Autologous blood transfusion in open heart surgeries under cardiopulmonary bypass-clinical appraisal. J Med Allied Sci 2017; 7: 48–54.
2. Engoren, MC, Habib, RH, Zacharias, A, Schwann, TA, Rioderdan, CJ, Durham, SJ. Effect of blood transfusion on long term survival after cardiac operation. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 74: 1180–1186.
3. Teker, ME, Cinar, IB. An alternative method that reduces homologous blood use in open heart surgery; cell saver. Cardiovasc Syst 2017; 5: 1.
4. Graves, EJ. National hospital discharge survey: annual summary, 1991. Vital Health Stat 1993; 13: 1–62.
5. Goodnough, LT. Blood and blood conservation: a national perspective. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2004; 18 (Suppl 4): 6S–11S.
6. Korukcu, A, Karabulut, H, Tosun, R, et al. Effect of remaining venous reservoir blood administration on transfusion in open heart surgery. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 1996; 24: 540–544.
7. Kaplan, JA, Canarella, C, Jones, EL, Kutner, MH, Hatcher, CR Jr, Dunbar, RW. Autologous blood transfusion during cardiac surgery. A re-evaluation of 3 methods. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1977; 74: 4–10.
8. Speiss, BD. Transfusion and outcome in heart surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2002; 74: 986–987.
9. Erhabor, O. Challenges of blood transfusion services delivery in sub-Saharan Africa. 2nd International Conference on Haematology and Blood Disorders, Baltimore, September–October, 2014.
10. Arobieke, O, Osafehinti, S, Ouwajiobi, F, Oni, O. Electrical power outage in Nigeria. History, causes and solutions. J Energy Technol Policy 2012; 2: 1–7.
11. Falase, B, Sanusi, M, Majekondunmi, A, Ajose, I, Idowu, A, Oke, D. The cost of open heart surgery in Nigeria. Pan Afr Med J 2013; 14: 61.
12. Burgster, EA, Winters, JL. Aphaeresis: principles and technology of hemipharesis in Rossi’s principles of transfusion medicine. In Simon TL, McCullough J, Snyder EL, Solheim BG, Trauss RGS (eds). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, West Sussex, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119013020.ch32
13. Wee, MY, Thomas, D, Jones, J, Catling, S, Howard, F, Milton, S. AAGBI Safety Guideline: Blood Transfusion and the Anaethetist Intraoperative Cell Salvage. Association of Anaesthetist of Great Britain and Ireland, London, 2009.
14. Bowley, DM, Barker, P, Boffard, ND. Intraoperative blood salvage in penetrating abdominal trauma, a randomized controlled trial. World J Surg 2006; 30: 1074–1080.
15. Nwafor, IA, Eze, JC, Anyanwu, CH, Ezemba, N, et al. The scope of cardiac surgery at National Cardiothoracic Center of Excellence, in Nigeria; a 3-year review. J Vasc Med Surg 2017; 5: 308.
16. Francis, CW, Kaplan, KL. Haemorrhagic problem in the surgical patient. Bleeding and thrombosis. In Holffman R, Benz BJ, Shattil SJ, Furis B, Cohen HJ, Stilberstein LE, MacGlare P (eds). Haematology Basic Principles and Practice. Churchill Livingstone, London, 2000: 2381–2391.
17. Blood Transfusion Task Force. Transfusion for massive blood loss. Clin Lab Haematol 1998; 10: 265–273.
18. Ranucci, M, Castelvecchio, S, Frigiola, A, Scolletta, S, Giomarelli, P, Biagioli, B. Predicting transfusions in cardiac surgery: the easier, the better: the transfusion risk and clinical knowledge score. Vox Sang 2009; 96: 324–332.
19. Van Straten, AH, Kats, S, Bekker, MW, et al. Risk factors for red blood cell transfusion after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2010; 24: 413–417.
20. Paone, G, Brewer, R, Theurer, PF, Bell, GF, Cogan, CM, Prager, RL. Michigan Society of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons. Preoperative predicted risk does not fully explain the association between red blood cell transfusion and mortality in coronary artery bypass grafting. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 143: 178–185.
21. Brucner, BA, Blan, LN, Rodriguez, L, et al. Microporous polysaccharide hemosphere absorbable hemostst use in cardiothoracic surgical procedures. J Cardiothorac Surg 2014; 9: 13.
22. Christensen, M, Krapf, S, Kempel, A, Avon, HC. Costs of excessive postoperative haemorrhage in cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009; 138: 687–693.
23. Levy, JH, Depotis, GJ. Transfusion and haemostasis in cardiac surgery. Transfusion 2008; 48: 15.
24. Lapar, D, Crosby, I, Ailewadi, G, et al. Blood conservation is associated with improved outcome and reduced cost after cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145: 1796–1803.
25. Lopes, CT, Santos, TR, Brunori, EH, Moorhead, SA, Lopes, JL, Barros, AL. Excessive bleeding predictors after cardiac surgery in adults: integrative review. J Clin Nurs 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12936. [Epub ahead of print].
26. Nwafor, IA, Nwafor, MN, Eze, JC, Ezemba, N, Ngene, CI. Open heart surgery: management of nonsurgical bleeding in the perioperative period. Int J Vasc Surg Med 2017; 3: 008–012.
27. Irio, A, Paccetti, P, Makris, M. Perspective – clotting factor concentrate switching and inhibitor development in haemophilia A. Blood 2012; 120: 1–9.
28. Osaro, E, Charlse, AT. The challenges of meeting the blood transfusion requirements in sub-Saharan Africa: the need for the development of alternative to allogeneic blood. J Blood Med 2011; 2: 7–21.
29. Isaah, HA, Mamman, AI, Bababdoko, AA, Ahmed, AJ. Seroprevalence of hepatitis C antibodies among blood donors in Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hodpital (ABUTH), Kaduna. Afr J Clin Exp Microbiol 2010; 11: 75–78.
30. Muktar, HM, Jones, M, Ashime, J. Hepatitis virus infection in blood donors: an emerging risk to transfusion services. Ann Afr Med 2006; 5: 182–184.