This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. M Frezza , C di Padova , G Pozzato , etal. High blood alcohol levels in women: the role of decreased gastric alcohol dehydrogenase activity and first-pass metabolism. N Engl J Med. 1990; 322: 95–99.
4. S Rao , N Read , C Brown , etal. Studies on the mechanism of bowel disturbance in ulcerative colitis. Gastroenterology. 1987; 93: 934–940.
7. JM Nicolas , P Espie , M Molimard . Gender and interindividual variability in pharmacokinetics. Drug Metab Rev. 2009; 41(3): 408–421.
8. ML Chen , SC Lee , MJ Ng , etal. Pharmacokinetic analysis of bioequivalence trials: implications for sex-related issues in clinical pharmacology and biopharmaceutics. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 68(5): 510–521.
12. R Sweet , B Pollock , B Wright , etal. Single and multiple dose bupropion pharmacokinetics in elderly patients with depression. J Clin Pharmacol. 1995; 35: 876–884.
13. SL Brown , ME Salive , JM Guralnik , etal. Antidepressant use in the elderly: association with demographic characteristics, health-related factors, and health care utilization. J Clin Epidemiol. 1995; 48: 445–453.
14. L Simoni Wastila . Gender and psychotropic drug use. Med Care. 1998; 36: 88–94.
15. CH Gleiter , U Gundert-Remy . Gender differences in pharmacokinetics. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet. 1996; 21: 123–128.
16. S Hashimoto , M Miwa , K Akasofu , E Nishida . Changes in 40 serum proteins of post-menopausal women. Maturitas. 1991; 13: 23–33.
17. PG Blain , JC Mucklow , MD Rawlins , etal. Determinants of plasma alpha 1-acid glycoprotein (AAG) concentrations in health. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1985; 20: 500–502.
18. S Kishino , A Nomura , S Itoh , etal. Age- and gender-related differences in carbohydrate concentrations of alpha1-acid glycoprotein variants and the effects of glycoforms on their drug-binding capacities. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2002; 58: 621–628.
19. CH Tuck , S Holleran , L Berglund . Hormonal regulation of lipoprotein(a) levels: effects of estrogen replacement therapy on lipoprotein(a) and acute phase reactant in postmenopausal women. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997; 17: 1822–1829.
20. ZH Israili , PG Dayton . Human alpha-1-glycoprotein and its interactions with drugs. Drug Metab Rev. 2001; 33: 161–235.
22. K Palmer , P Benfield . Fluvoxamine: an overview of its pharmacological properties and review of its therapeutic potential in nondepressive disorders. CNS Drugs. 1994; 1: 57–87.
25. C Kristensen . Imipramine serum protein binding in healthy subjects. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1983; 34: 689–694.
26. K Wilson . Sex-related differences in drug disposition in man. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1984; 9: 189–202.
28. B Kalra . Cytochrome P450 enzyme isoforms and their therapeutic implications: an update. Indian J Med Sci. 2007; 61(2): 102–116.
29. S Zhou , SY Chan , BC Goh , etal. Mechanism-based inhibition of cytochrome P450 3A4 by therapeutic drugs. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2005; 44(3): 279–304.
31. M Wadelius , E Darj , G Frenne , A Rane . Induction of CYP2D6 in pregnancy. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1997; 62: 400–407.
32. AD Kashuba , AN Nafziger , GL Kearns , etal. Quantification of intraindividual variability and the influence of menstrual cycle phase on CYP2D6 activity as measured by dextromethorphan phenotyping. Pharmacogenetics. 1998; 8: 403–410.
33. L Labbe , C Sirois , S Pilote , etal. Effects of gender, sex hormones, time variables and physiological urinary pH on apparent CYP2D6 activity as assessed by metabolic ratios of marker substrates. Pharmacogenetics. 2000; 10: 425–438.
34. JS McCune , C Lindley , JL Decker , etal. Lack of gender differences and large intrasubject variability in cytochrome P450 activity measured by phenotyping with dextromethorphan. J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 41: 723–731.
35. K Brosen . Isoenzyme specific drug oxidation: genetic polymorphism and drug-drug interactions. Nord J Psychiatry. 1993; 47(30): 21–26.
36. T Ketter , D Flockhart , R Post , etal. The emerging role of cytochrome P4503A in psychopharmacology. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1995; 15: 387–395.
37. T Edeki , JA Goldstein , SMF de Morais , etal. Genetic polymorphism of S-mephenytoin 4′-hydroxylation in African-Americans. Pharmacogenetics. 1996; 6: 357–363.
38. S Sviri , S Shpizen , E Leitersdorf , M Levy , Y Caraco . Phenotypic-genotypic analysis of CYP2C19 in the Jewish Israeli population. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1999; 65: 275–281.
39. DA Price Evans , P Krahn , N Narayanan . The mephenytoin (cytochrome P450 2C 19) and dextromethorphan (cytochrome P450 2D6) polymorphisms in Saudi Arabians and Filipinos. Pharmacogenetics. 1995; 5: 64–72.
40. WJ Tamminga , J Wemer , B Oosterhuis , etal. CYP2D6 and CYP2C19 activity in a large population of Dutch healthy volunteers: indications for oral contraceptive-related gender differences. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 1999; 55: 177–185.
41. S Hagg , O Spigset , R Dahlqvist . Influence of gender and oral contraceptives on CYP2D6 and CYP2C19 activity in healthy volunteers. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 51: 169–177.
43. C Scripture , J Pieper . Clinical pharmacokinetics of fluvastatin. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2001; 40: 263–281.
44. J Ford , C Truman , G Wilcock , etal. Serum concentrations of tacrine hydrochloride predict its adverse effects in Alzheimer's disease. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1993; 53: 691–695.
45. S Hartter , H Wetzel , E Hammes , etal. Inhibition of antidepressant demethylation and hydroxylation by fluvoxamine in depressed patients. Psychopharmacology. 1993; 110: 302–308.
46. SA Wrighton , JC Stevens . The human hepatic cytochrome P450 involved in drug metabolism. Crit Rev Toxicol. 1992; 22: 1–12.
48. K Bock , D Schrenk , A Forster , etal. The influence of environmental and genetic factors on CYP2D6, CYP1A2 and UDP-glucuronosyltransferases in man using sparteine, caffeine and paracetamol as probes. Pharmacogenetics. 1994; 4: 209–219.
49. MV Relling , JS Lin , GD Ayers , WE Evans . Racial and gender differences in N acetyltransferase, xanthine oxidase and CYP1A2 activities. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1992; 52: 643–653.
51. JT Callaghan , RF Bergstrom , LR Ptak , CM Beasley . Olanzapine: pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profile. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1999; 37: 177–186.
53. JB Schwartz . The influence of sex on pharmacokinetics. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2003; 42: 107–121.
54. A Karim , M Slater , D Bradford , etal. Oral antidiabetic drugs: bioavailability assessment of fixed-dose combination tablets of pioglitazone and metformin. Effect of body weight, gender, and race on systemic exposures of each drug. J Clin Pharmacol. 2007; 47(1): 37–47.
55. Y Lin , GD Anderson , E Kantor , LM Ojemann , AJ Wilensky . Differences in the urinary excretion of 6-beta-hydroxycortisol/cortisol between Asian and Caucasian women. J Clin Pharmacol. 1999; 39: 578–582.
56. SE Gaudry , DS Sitar , DD Smyth , JK McKenzie , FY Aoki . Gender and age as factors in the inhibition of renal clearance of amantadine by quinine and quinidine. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1993; 54(1): 23–27.
57. UB Berg . Differences in decline in GFR with age between males and females: reference data on clearances of inulin and PAH in potential kidney donors. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006; 21(9): 2577–2582.
60. JS Kim , AN Nafziger . Is it sex or is it gender? Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 68(1): 1–3.
61. MF Fromm . P-glycoprotein: a defense mechanism limiting oral bioavailability and CNS accumulation of drugs. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 38(2): 69–74.
63. M Jerling , Y Merle , F Mentre , A Mallet . Population pharmacokinetics of clozapine evaluated with the nonparametric maximum likelihood method. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1997; 44: 447–453.
64. HY Lane , YC Chang , WH Chang , etal. Effects of gender and age on plasma levels of clozapine and its metabolites: analyzed by critical statistics. J Clin Psychiatry. 1999; 60: 36–40.
65. M Fabrazzo , G Esposito , R Fusco , M Maj . Effect of treatment duration on plasma levels of clozapine and N-desmethylclozapine in men and women. Psychopharmacology. 1996; 124: 197–200.
66. A Rostami-Hodjegan , AM Amin , EP Spencer , etal. Influence of dose, cigarette smoking, age, sex, and metabolic activity on plasma clozapine concentrations: a predictive model and nomograms to aid clozapine dose adjustment and to assess compliance in individual patients. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004; 24: 70–78.
67. M Gex-Fabry , AE Balant-Gorgia , LP Balant . Therapeutic drug monitoring of olanzapine: the combined effect of age, gender, smoking, and comedication. Ther Drug Monit. 2003; 25: 46–53.
68. DL Kelly , RR Conley , CA Tamminga . Differential olanzapine plasma concentrations by sex in a fixed-dose study. Schizophr Res. 1999; 40: 101–104.
69. MV Seeman . Interaction of sex, age, and neuroleptic dose. Compr Psychiatry. 1983; 24: 125–128.
70. H Morgenstern , W Glazer . Identifying risk factors for tardive dyskinesia among long-term outpatients maintained with neuroleptic medication. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1993; 50: 723–733.
71. R Yassa , D Jeste . Gender differences in tardive dyskinesia: a critical review of the literature. Schizophr Bull. 1992; 18: 701–715.
74. K Hatta , T Takahashi , H Nakamura , etal. The association between intravenous haloperidol and prolonged QT interval. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2001; 21: 257–261.
75. A Kuruvilla , J Peedicayil , G Srikrishna , K Kuruvilla , AS Kanagasabapathy . A study of serum prolactin levels in schizophrenia: comparison of males and females. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1992; 19: 603–606.
79. T Baptista , NM Kin , S Beaulieu , EA De Baptista . Obesity and related metabolic abnormalities during antipsychotic drug administration: mechanisms, management and research perspectives. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2002; 35: 205–219.
80. K Hedenmalm , S Hagg , M Stahl , O Mortimer , O Spigset . Glucose intolerance with atypical antipsychotics. Drug Saf. 2002; 25: 1107–1116.
81. MJ Sernyak , DL Leslie , RD Alarcon , MF Losonczy , R Rosenheck . Association of diabetes mellitus with use of atypical neuroleptics in the treatment of schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2002; 159: 561–566.
83. WR Hutson , RL Roehrkasse , A Wald . Influence of gender and menopause on gastric emptying and motility. Gastroenterology. 1989; 96(1): 11–17.
85. DJ Greenblatt , H Friedman , ES Burstein , etal. Trazodone kinetics: effect of age, gender, and obesity. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1987; 42(2): 193–200.
86. JJ Stewart , HJ Berkel , RC Parish , etal. Single-dose pharmacokinetics of bupropion in adolescents: effects of smoking status and gender. J Clin Pharmacol. 2001; 41(7): 770–778.
88. DJ Greenblatt , M Divoll , DR Abernethy , RI Shader . Physiologic changes in old age: relation to altered drug disposition. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1982; 30(11): S6–10.
91. MG Hildebrandt , EW Steyerberg , KB Stage , etal., for the Danish University Antidepressant Group. Are gender differences important for the clinical effects of antidepressants? Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1643–1650.
92. E Mundo , R Pirola , L Bellodi , etal. Are gender differences in antiobsessional response related to different clomipramine metabolism? J Clin PsychopharmacoI. 2002; 22: 341–342.
93. LC Cohen , J Biederman , TE Wilens , etal. Desipramine clearance in children and adolescents: absence of effect of development and gender. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999; 38: 79–85.
95. CA De Mendonca Lima , P Baumann , M Braward-Amey , etal. Effect of age and gender on citalopram and desmethylcitalopram steady-state plasma concentrations in adults and elderly depressed patients. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2005; 29: 952–956.
96. M Reis , MD Chermß , B Carlsson , F Bengtsson , for the Task Force for TDM of Escitalopram in Sweden. Therapeutic drug monitoring of escitalopram in an outpatient setting. Ther Drug Monit. 2007; 29: 758–766.
97. RA Ronfeld , LM Tremaine , KD Wilner . Pharmacokinetics of sertraline and its N-demethyl metabolite in elderly and young male and female volunteers. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1997; 32: 22–30.
98. JM Ferguson , H Hill . Pharmacokinetics of fluoxetine in elderly men and women. Gerontology. 2006; 52: 45–50.
102. SG Kornstein , AF Schatzberg , ME Thase , etal. Gender differences in treatment response to sertraline versus imipramine in chronic depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157(9): 1445–1452.
103. E Baca , M Garcia-Garcia , A Porras-Chavarino . Gender differences in treatment response to sertraline versus imipramine in patients with non-melancholic depressive disorders. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2004; 28(1): 57–65.
104. PR Joyce , RT Mulder , SE Luty , etal. Melancholia: definitions, risk factors, personality, neuroendocrine markers and differential antidepressant response. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2002; 36(3): 376–383.
105. EA Young , SG Kornstein , SM Marcus , etal. Sex differences in response to citalopram: a STAR*D report. J Psychiatr Res. 2009; 43(5): 503–511.
106. ME Thase , R Entsuah , M Cantillon , etal. Relative antidepressant efficacy of venlafaxine and SSRIs: sex-age interactions. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2005; 14(7): 609–616.
108. D Marazziti , S Baroni , G Giannaccini , etal. Plasma fluvoxamine levels and OCD symptoms/response in adult patients. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2012; 27(4): 397–402.
109. D Marazziti , S Baroni , L Faravelli , etal. Plasma clomipramine levels in adult patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2012; 27(1): 55–60.