This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. SE McCabe , BT West , M Morales , etal. Does early onset of non-medical use of prescription drugs predict subsequent prescription abuse and dependence? Results from a national study. Addiction. 2007; 102(12): 1920–1930.
5. G Bart . Maintenance medication of opiate addiction: the foundation of recovery. J Addict Dis. 2012; 31: 201–225.
7. M Farrell , A Wodak , L Gowing . Maintenance drugs to treat opioid dependence. BMJ. 2012; 344: 2823–2828.
8. S Sigmon , A Bisaga , E Nunes , etal. Opioid detoxification and naltrexone induction strategies: recommendations for clinical practice. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2012; 38(3): 187–189.
9. P Lobmaier , M Gossop , H Waal , etal. The pharmacological treatment of opioid addiction—a clinical perspective. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2010; 66: 537–545.
10. GA Subramaniam , MA Stitzer . Clinical characteristics of treatment-seeking prescription opioids vs. heroin-using adolescents with opioid use disorder. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009; 101: 13–19.
12. T Clausen , K Ancheiser , H Waal . Mortality prior to, during and after opioid maintenance treatment (OMT): a national prospective cross-registry study. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008; 94(1–3): 151–157.
13. S Stancliff , J Herman , C Fong , etal. Opioid maintenance treatment as a harm reduction tool for opioid dependent individuals in New York City: the need to expand access to buprenorphine/naloxone in marginalized populations. J Addict Dis. 2012; 31: 278–287.
14. F Zijlstraf , J Booij , W van den Brink , etal. Striatal dopamine D2 receptor binding and dopamine release during cue-elicited craving in recently abstinent opiate-dependent males. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008; 18: 262–270.
16. D Wadorf . Natural recovery from opiate addiction: some social-psychological processes of untreated recovery. J Drug Issues. 1983; 13(2): 237–280.
18. YP Bao , ZM Liu , DH Epstein , etal. A meta-analysis of retention in methadone maintenance by dose and dosing strategy. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2009; 35(1): 28–33.
19. M Gossop . Clonidine and the treatment of the opioid withdrawal syndrome. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1988; 21(3): 253–259.
20. J Seifert , C Metzner , W Paetzold , etal. Detoxification of opiate addicts with multiple drug abuse: a comparison of buprenorphine vs. methadone. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2002; 35(5): 159–164.
21. MI Fingerhood , MR Thompson , DR Jasinski . A comparison of clonidine and buprenorphine in the outpatient treatment of opiate withdrawal. Subst Abus. 2001; 22(3): 193–199.
22. N Linteris . Buprenorphine dosing regime in the management of outpatient heroin withdrawal. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2002; 21(1): 39–45.
24. DA Fiellin , PG O'Connor . Office-based treatment of opioid-dependent patients. N Engl J Med. 2002; 347(11): 817–823.
26. MJ Kreek , L Borg , Y Zhou , etal. Relationships between endocrine functions and substance abuse syndromes: heroin and related short-acting opiates in addiction contrasted with methadone and other long-acting opioid agonists used in pharmacotherapy of addiction. In: Pfaff DW, Arnold AP, Etgen AM, Fahrbach SE, Rubin RT, eds. Hormones, Brain and Behavior. Vol. 5. San Diego, CA: Academic Press; 2002, pp 781–830.
27. EF McCance-Katz , LE Sullivan , S Nallami . Drug interactions of clinical importance among the opioids, methadone and buprenorphine, and other frequently prescribed medications: a review. Am J Addict. 2010; 19: 4–16.
28. JA Martin , A Campbell , T Killip , etal. QT interval screening in methadone maintenance treatment: report of a SAMHSA expert panel. J Addict Dis. 2011; 30: 283–306.
29. AL Stotts , CL Dodrill , TR Kosten . Opioid dependence treatment: options in pharmacotherapy. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2009; 10(11): 1727–1740.
30. GF Koob , ND Volkow . Neurocircuitry of addiction. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 35: 217–238.
32. TV Parran , CA Aldeman , B Merkin , etal. Long-term outcomes for office based buprenorphine/naloxone maintenance therapy. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010; 106(1): 56–60.
34. J Bell , L Trinh , B Butler , etal. Comparing retention in treatment and mortality in people after initial entry to methadone and buprenorphine treatment. Addiction. 2009; 104: 1193–1200.
36. J Ahmadi . Methadone versus buprenoprhine maintenance for the treatment of heroin-dependent outpatients. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2003; 24(3): 217–220.
37. KJ Schuh , CE Johanson . Pharmacokinetic comparison of the buprenorphine sublingual liquid and tablet. Drug Alcohol Depend. 1999; 56: 55–60.
38. PJ Fudala , TP Bridge , S Herbert , etal. Office-based treatment of opiate addiction with a sublingual-tablet formulation of buprenorphine and naloxone. N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 949–958.
39. P Kintz . Deaths involving buprenorphine: a compendium of French cases. Forensic Sci Int. 2001; 121: 65–69.
40. RP Mattick , R Ali , JM White , etal. Buprenorphine versus methadone maintenance therapy: a randomized double-blind trial with 405 opioid-dependent patients. Addiction. 2003; 98: 441–452.
41. BA Moore , DA Fiellin , DT Barry , etal. Primary care office-based buprenorphine treatment comparison of heroin and prescription opioid dependent patients. J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 527–530.
42. RD Weiss , JS Porter , DA Fiellin , etal. Adjunctive counseling during brief and extended buprenorphine-naloxone treatment for prescription opioid dependence: a 2-phase randomized controlled trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011; 68: 1238–1246.
43. SD Comer , MA Sullivan , SK Vosburg , etal. Abuse liability of intravenous buprenorphine/naloxone and buprenorphine alone in buprenorphine-maintained intravenous heroin abusers. Addiction. 2010; 105: 709–718.
45. H Jones , R Johnson , D Jajinski , etal. Buprenorphine versus methadone in the treatment of pregnant opioid-dependent patients: effect on the neonatal abstinence syndrome. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2005; 79: 1–10.
46. BA Berkowitz . The relationship of pharmacokinetics to pharmacological activity: morphine, methadone, and naloxone. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1976; 1(3): 219–230.
48. DA Fiellin , BA Moore , LE Sullivan , etal. Long-term treatment with buprenorphine/naloxone in primary care: results at 2-5 years. Am J Addict. 2008; 17(2): 116–120.
49. KA Handal , JL Schauben , FR Salamone . Naloxone. Ann Emerg Med. 1983; 12(7): 438–445.
52. RS Schottenfeld , MC Chawarski , M Mazlan . Maintenance treatment with buprenorphine and naltrexone for heroin dependence in Malaysia: a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trial. Lancet. 2008; 371(9631): 2192–2200.
54. S Minozzi , L Amato , S Vecchi , etal. Oral naltrexone maintenance treatment for opioid dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; CD001333.
55. E Krupitsky , EV Nunes , W Ling , etal. Injectible extended-release naltrexone for opioid dependence: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter randomized trial. Lancet. 2011; 377: 1506–1513.
56. DR Gastfriend . Intramuscular extended-release naltrexone: current evidence. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011; 1216: 144–166.